ChasingBlueSky

Ticketmaster SUCKS!

Tried to get tickets to the ALDS and the ALCS - skunked on both. 5 minutes after tickets went on sale for the White Sox game they were on sale at a local scalper for $2000.

I hate this. I go to a ton of games this year, been going to games for 23 years and I can't get into what could be our first real chance at a title.

I hate ticketmaster - they couldn't handle the load and my window to buy tickets crashed on me!

Show up and try to buy tickets in person. You may be surprised by the availability (then again, you may not). for the 2001 playoffs, Mariners tickets for the ALDS and ALCS were available at the park for close to face value, even though they sold out within minutes. You never know.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Show up and try to buy tickets in person. You may be surprised by the availability (then again, you may not). for the 2001 playoffs, Mariners tickets for the ALDS and ALCS were available at the park for close to face value, even though they sold out within minutes. You never know.

maybe they don't sell them in person any more? the St. Louis Cardinals sold their playoff tickets on the NET only and they sold out in like hour....

For what it's worth. TM's clients have more say in ticket availability and pricing. TM does make it's money off of internet and phone room sales but they don't determine the fee structure or availability.
Still sucks trying to see a game or a show though.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

Ticketweb is better but not many places use them

yes it is better but was purchased by TM a few yrs ago :S

*edit - Bob.dino already said that. But let's add that I detest TM. 10$ service charge, etc on a 18$ ticket?!?!?

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

I am not new to the evils that is Ticketmaster or Ticket-tron (what they were called here in the 80s).....and I was on board with Pearl Jam in '92/'93 when they went against them. Only 10k tickets went on sale and the rest went to MLB to hand out to sponsors etc....which makes it even harder on the TRUE fans that have been going to games for several decades. Just once in my life I wanted to be able to see my favorite sports team in a postseason game in person. The closest I came to that was in 1993 when Bo Jackson hit a homerun to clinch a playoff spot (got the ticket due to an earlier rain cancelation).

Just want one ticket, one game, don't care where at this point.

maybe they don't sell them in person any more? the St. Louis Cardinals sold their playoff tickets on the NET only and they sold out in like hour....

Sorry, my original post wasn't clear. I meant show up and try to buy them the day of the game from people selling them on the street. It's usually pretty easy to tell the hard-core scalpers from the guy or gal just trying to dump a couple of extra tickets. The secondary market was not what people expected it to be, so it was possible to pick up tickets the day of the game for at or near face value.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

The street ticket vendors are very shaddy in this town. I went to buy some for a sold out game earlier this year....just decided after a long day at work I needed a game to relax at......

Well, the tickets were on a different stock of paper, listed SRO (which isn't done), were old game tickets, or for seats that didn't exist.

Tis true, people are wanting to rip you off on popular games or concerts. When i've done that I usually have someone try to get in with one of the tickets first then have them call me when they are in and buy that ticket and my own. That way you know they are legit.. or at least work :D

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

Oh, they're shady everywhere. But it's usually pretty easy to spot the "pros." I avoid them, too.

Oh, here's another trick that I discovered in 2001 (which is moot for the games that have already been sold...). This may be different in Chicago, but in Seattle, there's a small subset of seats that are set aside for people who are accompanying people in wheelchairs, as well as the space for the wheelchairs. They're usually in the last row of each section. If the wheelchair seats aren't sold, they'll just pull in plastic chairs and sell them to the general public. Same goes for the fixed seats next to those spaces. If you're getting to the point where it's down to single seats or crappy seat options, ask about those seats ... what they do here in Seattle is release those at the very end to the general pool, but if you ask specifically for them before that, they can find those seats. I got those seats for a playoff game (they were the very last seats sold) and got two together when everyone else was just getting single seats.

Again, YMMV depending on how the stadium is laid out and how they distribute tickets.

It's already to the point where I am begging for just one ticket. I have my feelers out there....and for the first time in my life I don't know anyone that works for the White Sox. :S

Yeah, they do... I bought tix for an event this summer at the state fair and they sucked. they were the 2nd of 3 tiers. track (front row), stage level grandstand (what I had), and upper grandstand.

I ordered two stage level grandstand, unobstructed seats. when I got there, they were behind a pole, and no kidding, only 4 rows down from nosebleed. maybe 12 rows total of nosebleed. If I looked straight ahead, I could barely see over the overhead stage lights. so I was pretty much in the nosebleeds.

Spent the whole 3 hours straining to see around the pole, and having to watch it on the semi-big screens (temporary 72 inchers installed on either side of the stage so not very big).

I enjoyed the show overall, but still steaming to this day. If I had known they would be that bad, I wouldnt have gone for more than the nosebleeds.
Two wrongs don't make a right, however three lefts DO!