rushboy

cypres won't turn off

A customer dropped of a rig to me with a Cypres 1 (DOM 04/03...serviced in 07) . I turned it on to test it after packing and now it won't shut off. It turned on properly, but has some "bleeding" around the LCD display. When I tried to turn it off nothing happened...No LED...no change in the display. I've done a few searches in the forums with no luck. Any help out there?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.

Perhaps the display is damaged and the LED has ceased to function after it was turned on. Airtec has said that any odd behaviour should be documented and the AAD should be returned to them for inspection so it seems like the right thing to do in this case.

-Michael

I agree with returning it, but I was hoping someone had seen this before. The LED worked fine when I turned it on. Now I'm just waiting to see if it turns off on it's own as it should. I'm going to contact SSK tomorrow, to see what they know.

do a "quick/sharp" 1st press on the button

if you do a "long/slow" 1st press it won't do anything

if you already did as above, and it doesn't work, I can't help you more :P

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Had a Cypres like that a few years ago. The following little experiment was interesting. Get another Cypres, one that you know you can switch off. Then switch them both off simultaneously, using one hand for the first Cypres, and your other hand for the other Cypres. Press both buttons simultaneously, use the LED on the correctly-functioning Cypres for timing.

This allowed me to switch it off. You'll still need to send the unit to Airtec ...

I had one that took a LOT of pressure to get it to light up the LED at first to shut it off, start up was light pressure but unless I really mashed the button in I could'nt get it to shut down.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Thanks for the help everyone. I got it turned off after all. It turned out to be just a sensitive pad and sloppy technique. I called SSK and they said the unit would function properly and they would replace the LCD unit for free with a 5 day turn-around...Excellent customer service...

A friend of mine had that problem recently (Cypres 1 not switching off) and he has checked with SSK and was told to be faster when pushing and releasing the button when the red light comes up. it seemingly worked.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

One more thing, do you have your display console located on the back of your rig (in the middle of the back pad)? If it's the case, you have to be careful, it's so easy to break the AAD LCD window by putting your rig flat on something hard on a van, a floor or another rig hardware and break it. On the other hand, you wouldn't believe, as a rigger, the foot "massage" we sometimes have to give to a resere container in order to bleed the air out or/and distribute the volume properly, that also can be the cause for breaking the LCD window when it's located at such a place.
The display console located on the back pad is from my point of view the worst location to be. I have seen several broken display windows related with that kind of configuration. I prefer to have the display console under the yoke and that way, I can do a reserve pin check and verify the status of the AAD prior each jump. Under the yoke is the best place for a good protection (who wouldn't protect a so expensive device). Again I see here the same reccurent problem: Fashion versus function.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.