arlo

FYI: how ASS can save a life....

if you want to get to the ASS part, skip to the bottom...no pun intended

http://strokeconference.americanheart.org/portal/strokeconference/sc/release22003

How to Recognize a Stroke

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. A stroke victim may suffer permanent brain damage when people fail to recognize what's happening. Now, doctors say any bystander can recognize a stroke, simply by asking three questions:

1. ask the individual to smile.

2. ask him or her to raise both arms.

3. ask the person to speak a simple sentence.

If he or she has trouble with any of these tasks, call 911 immediately, and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher. Researchers are urging the general public to learn to ask these three questions quickly, to someone they suspect of having a stroke. Widespread use of this test could result in prompt diagnosis and treatment of a stroke, and prevent permanent brain damage.
=============================

i'll throw my own personal twist on this one. :D

remember your piece of ASS:

Arms (raise them)
Smile (have them smile)
Speak Simple Sentence (i.e. the weather is nice)

if you can't get ASS from the person, then call 911 because they may be having a stroke.

it just seems that ASS is easy to remember because people are always looking for it.:D and hey, it could save someone's life in the process. seriously.

did this turn into a geriatric care board?

Younger people have strokes too. My coworker's 48-year-old brother had one on Halloween and passed away yesterday. :(

This tip might have helped. [:/]

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

My coworker's 48-year-old brother had one on Halloween and passed away yesterday.

Geez, that's only 8 years older than I am. Scary! :|
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

My coworker's 48-year-old brother had one on Halloween and passed away yesterday.

Geez, that's only 8 years older than I am. Scary! :|

Like I said, younger people have strokes too. The faster you respond, the better a stroke victim will recover. My boss's mom started to have one, and because her husband was so attuned to her, he knew immediately that something was wrong and acted quickly. She is fully functional today with only the slightest of remaining effects.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Younger people have strokes too. My coworker's 48-year-old brother had one on Halloween and passed away yesterday. :(

how far do you have to stretch to say 48 is young?

48 is younger than 60, but let's face it.... you're looking at the downhill side of life by 48 and that makes you old.

48 is younger than 60, but let's face it.... you're looking at the downhill side of life by 48 and that makes you old.

48 is certainly not geriatric. It's younger or older, but neither old nor young. By your reasoning, anyone over 39 in the US is old, based on the current US life expectancy of 77.6.

Skymama, he just called you old. I say you ban him. :D

Since there are many active skydivers over 40 and most of us still have living parents and grandparents, I think it's information that all of us might find useful someday.
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

By your reasoning, anyone over 39 in the US is old, based on the current US life expectancy of 77.6.

This is an excellent rule of thumb.
Also, if you have grandchildren, you're old.

pffft. i didn't call her old, you did.

Skymama, he just called you old. I say you ban him.

Sadly, I can't ban someone for telling the truth. :ph34r: I got carded a couple of weeks ago though, so I haven't fallen apart quite yet.

Skymama, he just called you old. I say you ban him.

Sadly, I can't ban someone for telling the truth. :ph34r: I got carded a couple of weeks ago though, so I haven't fallen apart quite yet.

I still think the reasoning is flawed. "Old" is relative, not absolute. So is "young".

You're not green enough to be young, but you're WAY too hot to be old.

I consider myself young, both because I'm only 31, and because I'm still a dumbass. I'm hoping to outgrow that some day. I think it'll happen somewhere around the time I start calling my future kid a dumbass. :D:D

Have you joined POPS yet?

Someone gave me the t-shirt, but I haven't actually sent in my money for my card yet.

48 is certainly not geriatric. It's younger or older, but neither old nor young. By your reasoning, anyone over 39 in the US is old, based on the current US life expectancy of 77.6.

According to MTV everyone over 24 is old...
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

You know I doubt that the American Heart Association would appreciate that acronym being taught by instructors

Why would the American Heart Association be anything but thrilled that an average joe or two know ANYTHING about responding to a stroke victim?