virulindex

Square 1 Aviator

The only Aviator I can find searching DZ.com is the helmet made by Arrow Dynamics. The review says it will now incorporate a molded internal pocket for an audible and do away with the external attachment. Well, the Arrow Dynamics ink does not work so I'm wondering if Square one is making this helmet now.

The S1 Aviator looks just like the Arrow Dynamics Avaitor.

Am I right?

Also, for the price the S1 Aviator looks like a pretty good first helmet. Any opinions on this?

Thanks guys!

Yp. You're right. I don't know the exact history of what happened to Arrow Dynamics, but they stopped making the Aviators a couple of years back. Square One purchased up the patents/rights/molds/whatnot to make the helmet, so it's now their baby.

As for it being a good first helmet, know a number of people who fly it, and it works well for them. I tried it on and none of the sizes fit my head particularly well, so I didn't purchase one. This is why I highly recommend people trying on the type of helmet they want to buy beforehand, if that's an option. I opted for a Bonehead instead.

The gear section on dropzone.com is woefully outdated. As far as other good 'beginner open-faced helmets' go, some other alternatives:

- the Bonehead Guner/Allsport/Mindwarp (all ~$200)
- Bonehead Echo (~$125)
- Skysystems HR2 (~$200)
- Pro-tec (~$35)

I've tried all of these myself, and IMO, they're all decent. Some are quieter than others, and some will fit you better than others. All depends on the size of your noggin.

& if you want to really protect your head the best, the Protec wins, hands down. :)

Signatures are the new black.

I bought one from them last year, $95 on one of their eBay sales. Here's a mini-review:

Good: I have a large freakhead, as my wife would say, and the Aviator fits great. Looks pretty cool, as these things go, and seems to be pretty tough. I have the plain graphite finish, which actually looks great. Cuts noise much, much better than a Protec. Since it has the neoprene panel across the forehead, you can pull your goggles up off your eyes pre flight or after deployment. (Just so you know, I've never done it after deployment, but I know a lot of jumpers who do - I'm still a student, and I do follow the rules.)

Bad: The only thing I could complain about is a mis-alignment of one of the liner side pieces - left side too far forward - but I repositioned it. I did buy a factory second, so I didn't expect it to be perfect.

The main reason I bought mine is because I didn't feel like wearing the nasty student Protecs at the DZ, and it's a lot more comfortable.

I've only jumped it about 8 times, and it's holding up well for now - until it's OK for me to use a full-face. I like my little Aviator.

Edited to add: I want to be clear that I'm not bad-mouthing the Protec, nor was I trying to say that the Aviator protects your noggin any better than the Protec - I'm pretty sure the Protec would win that argument. Just though I'd clarify.
T.I.N.S.

I got a hold of a coupon for a free helmet bag w/the purchase of an Aviator Helmet from Square 1 for $150

I have worn it for the about 68 jumps now and have no real complaints.

Last week I did purchase an Optima and upon placing it inside the helmet I discovered the velcro that was supposed to hold the audible pouch in had came loose from the helmet. My audible still stayed in place for the day and later I just hot glued a bigger piece of velcro inside the helmet and it holds great now.

Also once sitting by the door I got SLAMMED in the top of the head by some giant brit in a hurry to get out, chipped the helmet but not my head!

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN PETER!

Overall I like it and plan on keeping mine for a while!

Good luck,
pcnut

I got about 30 jumps on my Aviator, not bad but its a fairly cheap helmet. had to reglue rubber parts here and there after glue got loose. Installed a pro-trck but pockets had too much extra glue there so had to scrap that glue out to fit protrack body.
Fits good and comfortable though, not bad for price.

I had one for about 30 jumps.

Pros: Cheap, light, comfortable.

Cons: Easily chipped / cracked, noisy in freefall.

The old aviators are hard as nails compared to the new ones. Mine fell off my locker and cracked.

I would look at the Bonehead Echo.