NWFlyer

Favorite Thanksgiving Recipes

Anyone have any specialties that they want to share? It may be a bit too late for tomorrow, but some of these recipes would probably work for other hoiday feasts as well.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

One of my favorites... a nice alternative to the old standby of green bean casserole.

Recipe is originally from Cooking Light

Green Beans and Pan Roasted Red Onions

1 lb green beans, trimmed
1 tbsp olive oil
3 red onions, each cut into 8 wedges
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper

Cook the beans till crisp-tender. Drain, keep warm.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; saute 8 minutes or until browned. Add broth; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar and remaining ingredients. Stir in beans; cover and cook 2 minutes.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

“Smashed Potatoes”
First, you squish the mashed potatoes. Then, you put them
in a pan. Make the pan hot. Add salt and pepper. Cook it
a little bit. Put them on a plate. Then, eat them!

“Big Fat Turkey”
First, you go to grocery store and buy a big fat turkey. Put it
in the oven. Add some spice to spice it up! Turn on the
oven to 450 degrees. Cook it for about hour or more. Then it is ready.

“Super Cool Mashed Potatoes and Gravy” by Joey
Go to the supermarket and buy a box of mashed potatoes.
Don’t forget the gravy! Throw it in a pan and add the
gravy. Stir it for 20 minutes. It is done. Put it on your
plate and eat it! Be careful it might be hot so blow on it!

“Really Good Chocolate Cake”
First, you put the cake cream in a pan and you mix it up.
Put it in the oven for 8 minutes at 50 degrees. Then, when
you smell it, it is done. Then, you put the chocolate cream
on it and add some sprinkles. Then, it is really good
chocolate cake.

“Sweety Sweet Potatoes”
First, you wash the sweet potatoes. Then, you put them in
the oven. Then, they are done and very hot. After they
cool, they are ready to eat!

Giraffe Roast

The entire carcass can be roasted in a closed pit. Dig a hole 6 feet deep, 6 feet wide and of sufficient length to accommodate the giraffe. Build a wood fire in the pit and allow 24 inches of hot coals to build up. This will require about 3-4 hours burning time and wood equal to about 2 times the volume of the pit. Use only dry hardwood.

When sufficient coals have accumulated, level them and remove any unburned chunks. Cover the coals completely with a 2-inch layer of pea gravel. Place the carcass on a sheet of 2 x 4 inch welded wire, and lower it into the pit. Cover immediately with galvanized roofing supported on pipe or steel posts. Then put 12 inches of dirt over the entire pit. Allow the giraffe to cook for about 10 hours (or until the internal temperature of the giraffe reaches 160°F).

B|

Return to Table of Contents

Here's my Pumpkin Bread recipe. I'll be making it tonight!

Damn, and I even did a search for Thanksgiving Recipes and it didn't come up with that thread.

Oh... shoulda left off the "s."

The bread sounds yummy!

Yours rocks, Dave! You should share the recipe.

Meat, vegetables, fat, cheese, and sugar...it's a meal all by itself. ;)

Dave's Green Bean Recipe
-----------------------------
4 cans french cut green beans
1 pound bacon
6 Tbls white vinegar
6 Tbls Brown sugar
6 Tbls bacon fat
8 oz grated cheddar
1 cup finely diced onion
3 Tbls yellow mustard

Cook bacon so it's crunchy--cut into about 1/2" bacon bits--save 6 Tbls bacon fat. This can be done just before making sauce or ahead of time

Heat green beans and drain (drain really well)

Combine the vinegar, brown sugar, bacon fat and mustard in a sauce pan. Heat slowly, stirring so it doesn't burn, just till it starts to boil slowly. (Don't take a big whiff of this...boiling vinegar is rough on the nose) Mix the sauce, onion, bacon, and cheese into the drained beans and serve immediately.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Giraffe Roast

The entire carcass can be roasted in a closed pit. Dig a hole 6 feet deep, 6 feet wide and of sufficient length to accommodate the giraffe. Build a wood fire in the pit and allow 24 inches of hot coals to build up. This will require about 3-4 hours burning time and wood equal to about 2 times the volume of the pit. Use only dry hardwood.

When sufficient coals have accumulated, level them and remove any unburned chunks. Cover the coals completely with a 2-inch layer of pea gravel. Place the carcass on a sheet of 2 x 4 inch welded wire, and lower it into the pit. Cover immediately with galvanized roofing supported on pipe or steel posts. Then put 12 inches of dirt over the entire pit. Allow the giraffe to cook for about 10 hours (or until the internal temperature of the giraffe reaches 160°F).

B|

Return to Table of Contents

I used cedar last year for that more "smokey" flavor...

Good on ciabatta bread with havarti cheese and horseradish the next day...:P

Thanksgiving Tequila Delight

1 Bottle Patron (unopened)

Directions: Find Vinny and give him the bottle.

I hear the above recipe is supposed to give the chef extremely good luck all year.

B|
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

Seems like the only time I make/eat yams is at Thanksgiving. Except my dad made this recipe a couple weeks ago and it was really good. I'm making it for Thanksgiving.

Praline Yams
40 oz. can Princella cut yams, drained
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted

Heat oven to 350. Place drained yams in ungreased 2 quart casserole or baking dish. In small bowl combine remaining ingredients, blend well. Sprinkle over yams. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes or until bubbly. Serves 10.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

candied sweet potatoes

really the whole recipe is by site but heres is the basic idea

cook 3 lbs of sweet potatoes till tender (do not overcook or they will be mushy and fall apart)

strain and peel... cut into halves lengthwise

in a pan melt two sticks of butter and stir in about 3/4 small box of dark brown sugar until it becomes a gravy like texture... if its too thin add more sugar... if its too thick add a little water

line a baking pan with foil... lay out the potatoes and pour butter/sugar mixture on top...

bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until potatoes become a little softer...

i know this is the most vague recipe but its always been verbally and visually passed down, we've never needed to write it down because really its super easy they are yummy...and crazy fattening :)

anyway HAPPY THANKSGIVING and enjoy your food
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

i've never really understood the need to make sweet potatoes/yams sweet. they're soooooooooo good salty. just fry them up and add salt, basically like a sweet potatoe french fry. i don't even know why they call them "sweet" potatoes. there's nothing inherently sweet about them!

Crab Linguine

1 1lb box linguine
2 Cans cream of asparagus soup
2 Cans crab meat (don't use fresh king crab, it over powers the dish)
1 Can asparagus spears
8 oz Half and half
4 oz Heavy whipping cream
4 oz white wine
1 stick sweet butter
8 oz jack cheese
Parmesan cheese
Italian bread crumbs
1 Large mixing bowl
1 Mixing spoon
1 Cheese grater
3 qts water
1 large pot
1 small sauce pot
1 lasagna baking pan

Place water in pot, place on stove and ignite heating device at the high setting. While BTU's are being absorbed by the water thus increasing its temperature. Remove the wrapper from the stick of butter and place it in the small sauce pot. Place the small pot on the stove and ignite the heating device on the lowest setting. At this setting the butter will absorb the BTU's at a much slower rate thus not burning the butter.

While the water is heating to a boil and the butter is melting do the following:

1) Grate the jack cheese placing it the large mixing bowl.
2) Open cans of cream of asparagus soup and place the contents of the cans in the mixing bowl.
3) Open the cans of crab meat, drain excess water (preferably in the sink, but it's your kitchen pour it where you like) place the contents of the can into the mixing bowl.
4) Pour the 4 oz of wine into the mixing bowl
5) Pour in the 8 oz of half and half into the mixing bowl
6) Pour in the 4 oz of heavy whipping cream into the mixing bowl

By now the water in the large pot should have absorbed enough water to be boiling, if so remove the linguine from its packing material and add it into the boiling water. Cook approximately 10 minutes or until aldente'

The butter should also have absorbed enough BTU's to have melted. Pour half of the melted butter into the mixing bowl as well.

Use the large mixing spoon and thoroughly mix all contents in bowl.

Since you bought a full bottle of wine and only needed 4 oz for the food this is a good time to pour yourself a glass and consume it while the linguine cooks.

Your 10 minutes is up so put down the wine glass. Drain the pasta using a colander and then place back into the pot you cooked it in. Add three spoons full of the contents of the mixing bowl in with the pasta and mix thoroughly.

Open the can of asparagus spears and drain the water (again, preferably in the sink)

Remove the coated linguine from the pot placing it into the baking pan evenly. Remove the asparagus spears from the can and place them on evenly on top of the linguine that you placed in the pan. Pour the remaining contents of the mixing bowl evenly across the top of the linguine and asparagus spears.

Sprinkle parmesan cheese evenly across the top of the mixture (add how much you prefer but don't over do it as parmesan is strong and can over power the dish)

Cover entire dish with Italian bread crumbs with approximately 1/8 inch of bread crumbs.

Drizzle remaining butter over contents in the baking dish.

Place in oven at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Drink more wine.

Remove from oven and let stand 15 minutes before cutting to serve.

Drink more wine.

Serve as a side and eat dinner, oh yea......Drink more wine.

PS don't forget to turn off the burners on the stove.

Enjoy

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Corn and Tomatos

This is a recipe that my passed on grandfather came up with (I believe) way back in the day when he did some cooking duties during WWII on ships in the Navy (between his stints as a gunner). It looks simple, but trust me its GOOD very very GOOD!

1 (No. 2) can tomatoes
1 small onion
1/2 lb. bacon
2 cans whole kernel corn
1 tsp. sugar

Put tomatoes in pot. Beat tomatoes with whip. Boil. Chop bacon fine and fry. Add to tomatoes. Saute onions; add to tomato mixture. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add corn. Add 1 teaspoon sugar. Bring to a boil.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Looks like sweet potatoes is still a big hit. My grandmother loved to make the sweet potatoes with the brown sugar, PECANS, and big ol' puffy marshmellows melted on top (to a crispy light brown color). The pecans are awesome in it.

When I was in Ohio a couple of weeks ago, we ate at a place that served sweet potatoes with caramel sauce. YUM :)

It looks simple, but trust me its GOOD very very GOOD!

It has bacon. How can it be anything but GOOD? :D

Okay even though I hate holidays, I love duck in turkey.... I dont know how she does it with her .2 alcohol level but somehow my mom can put a whole freaking duck inside a turkey with season .... its very yummy.... Dont have the recipe.... but I just had a shred of mmmmmmm durkey
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Okay even though I hate holidays, I love duck in turkey.... I dont know how she does it with her .2 alcohol level but somehow my mom can put a whole freaking duck inside a turkey with season .... its very yummy.... Dont have the recipe.... but I just had a shred of mmmmmmm durkey

Does she ever go all the way and do a turducken?:D