steelyeye

Line set life

Had an interesting discussion with a couple of riggers and the master rigger I am training under...

What, in your experience is the lifetime of a line set? The master rigger expressed that in her experience, lifetime was getting shorter. Whereas she was used to seeing 500+ jumps years ago, now it seems that some line sets need to be replaced much more frequently, like in the 300 jump range.

I recognize that there are a lot of variables (WL, line type, canopy type, environment, etc). Any thoughts?

(I tried a search and did not find anything, if there is a similar discussion, would appreciate a re-direct).

"Better a has-been than a never-was. Better a never-was than a never-tried-to-be..."

Had an interesting discussion with a couple of riggers and the master rigger I am training under...

What, in your experience is the lifetime of a line set? The master rigger expressed that in her experience, lifetime was getting shorter. Whereas she was used to seeing 500+ jumps years ago, now it seems that some line sets need to be replaced much more frequently, like in the 300 jump range.

I recognize that there are a lot of variables (WL, line type, canopy type, environment, etc). Any thoughts?

(I tried a search and did not find anything, if there is a similar discussion, would appreciate a re-direct).

Depends on (among other things) line type, and how far out of trim you are willing to tollerate. My PD-260 is still on its original line set (dacron ~500 jumps) and other than a brake line retrim is fine. My spectre was not opening the way I wanted and needed retrim after ~300 (spectra).

However, if it has not yet been done, you might consider that its time for a new line set for the canopy in your pic ;)

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Canopies are, on average, getting smaller and more responsive. Smaller more aggressive canopies can tolerate less line shrinkage before it adversely affects their performance. So it makes sense to me that you'd have to replace them sooner.