j0nes

40 hour capacity TiVo

Tivo is great, I love mine. If you want some sites on how to add another drive (or other cool stuff) PM me. Oh, and if you do sign up, can I give you my email address so I can collect some 'tivo rewards' ? :P

Oh, and the $49 deal you can order right from Tivo too. And it is after you pay for lifetime service on the box.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

I've had one for ages and I love it very much. 40 hours has been fine for me, but I copy stuff I want to save to DVD so capacity just isn't a big deal.

I switched to Time-Warner DVR for a while and didn't like it as much as Tivo, but if you already have digital cable you may be able to add DVR service for a few bucks a month without buying the Tivo. I prefered the extra little things my Tivo does over the DVR though.

Is it an older Tivo or a Series 2? If I was going to but a new one today I'd get the Humax Series 2 with the DVD recorder built in. You can get those with the same $150 rebate that you can get on the cheaper box.
Owned by Remi #?

i don't have a tivo, but i do have a dvr (made by scientific atlanta, or something like that) and i LOVE it. don't know what i would do with out it, don't ever want to not have one again. but i rent if from time warner for 6 bucks a month. might be worth it just to buy a tivo and dump the other one.

Oh, and the $49 deal you can order right from Tivo too. And it is after you pay for lifetime service on the box.

According to Tivo's web site you get the rebate no matter what type of service plan you chose.

You get an instant rebate for pre-paying 12 months online. If you choose monthly or 3-month pre-paid service you get a mail-in rebate. I don't see anything about requiring lifetime service.
Owned by Remi #?

Tivo charges more per month than 6 bucks, so it's cheaper to use the rental DVR unless you really want the additional Tivo features.

Yup, completely depends on what you want to do. I got a Tivo because (besides getting an 80 hour box WITH lifetime service for $250) I don't have cable, I want to abel to hack around with the Tivo box, and I like all the bells and whistles that come with it - playing music and photos from my pc, scheduling recordings online, transferring shows to/from my pc, and now with the web based hme apps and downloadable content... I'm REALLY glad I went with Tivo. Yahoo weather and traffic on my TV via Tivo :D

EDIT: My bad... a think a month or so ago you got a free 40 hr box with lifetime service, I must have had that on the brain still. Now it reads:
"Save $150 instantly on any TiVo Box when you pre-purchase 12 months of service ($155.40). Full terms below."
So, 12 months it is. You still get rebate with lifetime too of course.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Absolutley. I love to tinker with mine too. I have an older model and had to kluge in the network card with tin snips and soldering iron, so I'm thinking about upgrading soon for the improved networking capablity, but;

I also have lifetime service on the old box so I'm not in a huge hurry to buy a new one.
Owned by Remi #?

being able to transfer stuff to my computer would be NICE. i'm not honestly sure if i can do it with my current dvr, but i don't think so. and i haven't had the chance to try yet. i've got a 40 hour dvr and about 30 hours of it are taken up by stuff i don't actually watch but want to keep. if i could just put that on my hard drive life would be sweet.

Being able to transfer stuff is a nice feature, but I switched from my TW DVR back to my Tivo because of the keyword recording and networking. If you want to save stuff you can also just stick with the cheaper DVR and get a DVD recorder. Just options to consider.

If you want to have DVRs in multiple rooms the Series 2 Tivo is the best option because you can also transfer recordings from room to room.
Owned by Remi #?