Rebecca-Berlin

Teardrop Classic

Here is some more info on the rig that is being offered to me (I have to replace my stolen rig before team training on April 26/27th or pay horrendous rental prices on a regular basis).

Teardrop Classic: DOM 1/1997
Cypres 1: DOM 2/1997
Reserve: Tempo 150, DOM 4/1996
Main: I refused to consider buying it after one jump
(it was a Falcon 195, DOM 3/1990)

Price: 1500 Euros with the main = $2,369
1300 Euros without the main = $2,053

needs a reserve repack at the end of April 2008 (now)

Is this a good deal?

If you are willing to pay that then it is worth it. For me? The parts are worth about:

Container - £150 (E200)
Cypres1 with 3 years left - £150 (E200)
Tempo 150 - £200 (E260)

Total - £500 (E660) (maybe more if it is in really good condition...

But I know someone who is giving away a newer teardrop classic than that because they are so difficult to sell... personally I would seriously re-negotiate that price.

I'm not saying that the teardrop is a bad rig (although I'm not so keen) but it's value is low.

Not one shred of evidence supports the theory that life is serious - look at the platypus.

Thanks guys, but it's too late. I bought it yesterday.

The rigger who was selling it refused to go down in price. He said the container was in good condition, and this allows me to jump for another year. The money goes to the widow of the skydiver, who died of natural causes, not the rigger himself.

Because I need a 15"/16" harness, used gear is almost impossible for me to find. Especially with such a large main. I went through this when I looked for my first rig, and that's why I ended up getting my new (now stolen) Viper.

Blue Skies,
Rebecca

My Viper was found so now I want to sell the Teardrop Classic.

What's a 13-year-old rig worth?

I was told that Teardrops are now "valid" for an extra 5 years if Thomas Sports gives them the thumbs up, and this one is in really good condition. So whoever buys it will have to send it in to Thomas Sports and pay for the official once-over and approval.

The main, Cypres and reserve have already been sold, so I am only selling the container.

Thanks,
R-B

I was told that Teardrops are now "valid" for an extra 5 years if Thomas Sports gives them the thumbs up,

I know this is a bit off topic, but I presume this has to do with some German rules on gear life? Not just rules on reserve canopies for example, but on harnesses too?!

Wow! I assumed the harness "expiration date" rules were worldwide. Are you allowed to fly a rig forever in other countries?

That depends on the country. Let's just say I wouldn't thrash a rig just yet if it were just over the German age limit :)

ciel bleu,
Saskia