j0nes

Are gift cards more thoughtful than cash?

Well, the way I see it, is by giving a gift card, you are requiring that they go to that specific place. Where as if you give them cash, or a check, then they can go where ever they like to shop and get something there. A gift card is nothing but a fancy way of saying, here is the money, but I only want you shopping here with it...

A man will do anything for the right woman,
and when that woman destroys him,
that man will become a hunk of meat with the common sense of a rodeo clown! ~ Christopher Titus

The other way of looking at it is this- with cash, the person can take the money and do something practical with it, pay bills, etc. If your idea is to give the person a GIFT, a gift card or gift certificate at a store you know they like is a better idea. Then maybe they will use it to buy something for themselves they would not ordinarily buy.

When you give someone cash you're basically saying "here, go do something." Takes no thought at all.

At least when you give a gift card you're (theoretically) saying "I have some vague idea of the things you like, and so I'm giving you something from this store you like in X amount." Takes very little thought, but more than none.

So yes, gift cards are minutely more thoughtful than cash.

Depends on the situation.

I just got a gift card for a friend to a local coffee/cupcake shop. He spends a lot of time there, so that gift card will buy him a lot of cupcakes. I could have gotten him a lot of cupcakes, but that would be kind of silly as he couldn't eat them all in one sitting. This gets him many cupcakes on many occasions... the gift that keeps on giving. I also gave him a t-shirt from the shop.

My brother has specifically asked for restaurant gift cards as gifts for him and his family. I think if someone specifically asks for them, they're a great gift. Especially since it's not practical for me to take them out to dinner since they live all the way across the country.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

... the gift that keeps on giving.

That's what Eddie says to Clark Griswold about the jelly-of-the-month club bonus from his boss :D

:P Wasn't that on TV last night?

You haven't had these cupcakes. I'd (almost) take them in lieu of a bonus. :)

Ok.... IMO
On a scale of 1 to 10... 10 being the perfect homemade or store bought gift and 1 being a "Merry Christmas" handshake.........
I would say that cash is a 3 and gift cards which show that "you had a clue of where you might like a gift from" would be a 4 or 5.
Sadly, I usually have to go with the gift card thing for most of my christmas presents since I don't live near any of my family.....
But that's just my $.02
Goggles and Teeth

"You fall like a greased safe!!!"

A gift card ensures that they at least buy something with the cash, instead of throwing it into their bank account and using it to pay bills.

Sure they might buy light bulbs if you give them a home depot gift card, but still, it's one step closer.

|>.<|
Seriously, W.T.F. mate?

When you give someone cash you're basically saying "here, go do something." Takes no thought at all.

At least when you give a gift card you're (theoretically) saying "I have some vague idea of the things you like, and so I'm giving you something from this store you like in X amount." Takes very little thought, but more than none.

So yes, gift cards are minutely more thoughtful than cash.

Agreed... I usually get cards for Lowes or Home Depot, and I do need them with the ongoing house renovations, having the cards just removes the possibility of mis-spending the cash elsewhere... :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

A gift card ensures that they at least buy something with the cash, instead of throwing it into their bank account and using it to pay bills.

Sure they might buy light bulbs if you give them a home depot gift card, but still, it's one step closer.

That is exactly why I ask for specific gift cards. I got a Walmart gift card in a dirty santa game over the weeekdn...whopopie. THAT is a tacky gift card! I grocery shop there every darn week..what do I want a gift card from there. So the gift card will go towards groceries. Whoopie.

~ Lisa
~ Do you Rigminder?

I think so. This year my brother and sister are getting the same gift from me...a date with their significant others. If I gave them cash, they'd probably pay bills or buy diapers or something practical, which, while nice, doesn't translate into the kind of smile I shoot for with the gifts I give. Instead, I'm giving them each a gift certificate to a local restaurant, a pair of movie tickets, and a voucher good for one night of babysitting. Hopefully they'll enjoy a nice evening together more than they would an extra bag of groceries.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)