McDuck

Bullies and Banes

Reading Billy's account of his friend's method of dealing with a bully from his past gave me pause. Since these thoughts might create serious thread drift over there(:P), I thought it might be a good idea to have a separate thread about bullies.

How many of you WERE the bully, and how many had to ENDURE bullies? What were your methods, and did you give two pinched loaves about them once you were out of school and getting on with your life?

I was bullied quite a bit in elementary school until I showed that not wanting to fight does not equate to a lack of ability in that regard. I stood up for myself and was left alone after that...well, except for the standard razzing you get at all levels of most education systems.

Once I moved on with my life and went out into the world, those past bullies were chaff on the wind to me.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

I never experienced bullying as a kid per se but dealt with my fair share of being teased as i was overweight at school. Then i left school, moved cities to study, started living on my own, dropped the weight and hey presto life is good.

I can only laugh when i go back to my home town and see the same losers i grew up with working dead end jobs and i see how these supposed cool kids didn't make much of their lives.

I hate to admit it, but i love it.

On another note, i still feel terrible about one specific day in my school career. A group of guys was teasing another kid and to feel like a main man i jumped in and started teasing him too. It was my addition to the group that eventually reduced him to tears. To this day i feel bad about it and wonder what happened to him.

Matthew, wherever you are, i am truly sorry.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

I was bullied as a kid... I didn't really "deal" with them other then accepting what was happening and doing my best to move on with my life. I imagine it does still affect the way in which I react to things.

Strangely, when I went to my 10 yr HS reunion a few years ago I was confronted by a bully that had become a Minister and he appoligized to me and frankly I didn't even remember his name...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I had to endure them. Of course, as a girl, it was less about physical bullying than it was about emotional bullying. Girls can be pretty vicious with that kind of stuff, and I got my fair share of it. And, to be fair, if there was ever a time I was in the position of "power" (pretty rare) I did a little bullying myself.

Nice to grow up and realize that I don't have to put other people down to feel good about myself. Well, except Remi, anyway. :P
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke