LloydDobbler

Freefly pants length = ?

Hey, folks! So here's the deal -

I just snagged a pair of freefly pants. Love the look, love the feel...but they seem a little long.

I heard a while back that freefly pants are supposed to be a bit long. And reading up on some other threads about making your own freefly pants, they all point out that you want to take a pattern and add an extra 10-12" to it.

So my question, for all you "in the know" - how much should a pair of freefly pants bunch up around the ankles when standing? If I wore regular pants with a 30" inseam, about what should be the inseam on a pair of freefly pants (crotch to bottom of ankle cuff)?

(And for that matter, I assume it would make a difference if the person in question weighs, say, 130 out the door, right?) :)
Signatures are the new black.

Oh - yeah. Heh. Figured it would be one of those 'hidden in plain sight'-kinda answers. ;)

Thanks for the tip!

(And dammit, they're still too long. The curse of being 5'5". >:()

Simple solution. I have done this on numerous jumpsuits I've owned since I don't buy a lot of new stuff due to the wait time on jumpsuits. You have to have a sewing machine for this though.

Simply turn the pants inside out. Then...fold the cuffs and lower legs back inside themselves about a foot or even less. Do this to both legs and pin them in place so that you'll have an even legnth on each hem. Then run the sewing machine however far in completely around that folded back portion of the pants to "take" some of the fabric in the legs "in." Turn the pants back rightside out and you're good. If they still are too long, do that same process, but just do the next row of stitching a little further in from the first row.

I think my description makes no sense. :S Ask if you need more help. Or simply ask a local rigger to take out some legnth. The nice thing about this way is that if you ever sell them or need to let them out for any reason, you simply pick the stitches out and the pants return to normal. This can be done with sleeves as well.

Cheers,
Travis

Thanks, Travis -

Your description does make sense. :)

Oh, well.

Nonetheless, good advice. Given how many tall and skinny skydivers there seem to be (I've found a ton of people who stand at 5'8" with a 28" waist while I've been searching for gear :S), I should be able to use it at some point.

Blue skies!

Signatures are the new black.

Thanks, Travis -

Your description does make sense. :)

Oh, well.

Nonetheless, good advice. Given how many tall and skinny skydivers there seem to be (I've found a ton of people who stand at 5'8" with a 28" waist while I've been searching for gear :S), I should be able to use it at some point.

Blue skies!

Just a last resort thought...you actually want the knee reinforcement just a touch lower than you would think because when you kneel down it will be where you need to protect your knee of the suit. THat's the main reason for knee reinforcement. You may have tried it, but this could also be improved with having a rig on too.

Cheers,
Travis