FallingOsh

Another reserve question

I've been out of the sport for over a year, 17 months since my last jump actually. My main has been stored unpacked and i drag it out every few months just to check the lines and make sure there aren't any critters eating away the fabric.

For whatever brain-fart, complacent, ridiculous reason, I never thought to pop the reserve and let it air out as well. This occurred to me about 30 minutes ago while trying to fall asleep. Anyway, I popped the reserve and spread it out across my spare bed. The lines came out fine and the free bag pulled off without a problem. However, the fabric looks exactly like you would expect. Parts of it look normal and parts look like a scrunchy.

Has leaving it packed for so long permanently creased the material? Will it work itself out and be safe to jump or is it possible that it's ruined? I did a very quick inspection and there are no holes or tears, just lots of creases. Of course I'll take it to a rigger for a full inspection but that's still a few weeks away.

Any quick advice for the concerned?

--------------------------------------------------
Stay positive and love your life.

you would too look like that after being packed away so long with no loven....

really it will be fine..just kep it in a dark area a\nd or in a plastic tote till you get it ready for repack.. I usually hang mine for a day or two but thats me..

Those issues u have dont worry/////
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

A reserve packed for 1 year isn't a problem. In Germany we have to repack the reserve only once a year. Therefore the reserve remains packed for one year. And believe me the reserves in Gemany are still working well! ;-)

As long as it wasn't hot, like in the trunk of your car, nothing got spilt on it or stabbed into it, and the AAD batteries didn't leak, your good to go. The wrinkles and creases never come out.

About the only reason I store a reserve open is to protect it from the AAD batteries. But it usually takes years for those to fail. Storage open is better but only as long as it can be protected. Sometimes leaving it in the container is better than letting it absorb smoke or cat pee.:S

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

So far so good.
Just hang it up - in the shade - to air for a day or two, then take it to your local rigger for a full inspect and repack.
Leaving a reserve stored - with wrinkles - does negligible damage.

The only thing that should wear out a reserve is repacking it a few hundred times, but that is a slow process.