GLIDEANGLE

Rigger Candidate Proficiency Card

I found the attached Rigger Proficiency Cards in Poynter, Dan. The Parachute Manual A Technical Treatise on Aerodynamic Decelerators Vol II, Ed 4. Para Publishing, Santa Barbara. 1991. p:44.

Because this book is now 17 years old, the content of these cards is partially obsolete. There are both obsolete (or at least old and uncommon) rigs included and more current rigs omitted.

If you were to create a modern Rigger Candidate Proficiency Card, what would you include? In particular, I am interested in what sorts of rigs you would include on the list for packing for back and seat. Perhaps rather than listing specific rigs, it might make more sense to list them by characteristics: one pin, two pin, skyhook, square, round, etc.

Thanks!

Blue Skies
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I think any learning program that specifies manufactures is too bias for a learning progression. Rigging is not manufacture specific.

Instead, maybe just specify "four unique manufactures packed." This will prove the candidate can read the manual on a few different rigs and complete the task and has enough diversity in their learning to apply the knowledge to rigs they never have seen before.

Realistically, except for a few small differences, all sport rigs pack the same - and the "art" is in making them look good and close quickly. (Racers and Reflexes excluded:P)

Bail out rigs are a different beast. Each is unique. But then again, it is about following the instructions, not having every design memorized.

If you take DeWolfe's class, you'll pack rounds and work with all sorts of stuff that many in our sport won't see...it's kind of worth it though.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Nothing on the front obsolete. Just needs some more added.
The back? Doesn't bother me either.;) I'd drop the wonder hog II's. And add some other pilot rigs. Plenty of blanks for other stuff.

I do more rounds than ram airs right now. How to untangle a round? Reasonable skill to have. Same with the rest of the stuff. Just saw brand new risers with snaps.

I've your getting a chest rating military chests are appropriate. Plenty of blanks for other stuff.

I'd call it a good start.B|

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Before a Canadian Rigger A Course, candidates are expected to pack ten round reserves
... or ten square reserves
... or ten of each if they want both ratings.

They are also allowed to chose which type of container they want to be tested on:

1-pin sport
2-pin sport
Pop-Top
chest

If they want to get certified to repack pilot emergency parachutes, they need to be already signed off on all the other categories. PEP includes short back packs (Aviator), long back packs (Long Softie), seat packs (Strong Para-Cushion Seat), etc.

They should also have some experience with hand-tacking, finger-trapping, setting grommets, assembling canopies on risers, staring at compatibility charts, staring at packing manuals, staring at service bulletins, chamber-testing FXC 12000 AADs, replacing batteries in Cypres I, etc.