FlyingBlueJay

Vector3 M358 canopy sizing

Hey everyone,

Over the summer I'm going to be jumping a lot and during this time I'll be doing lots of canopy control training. At the moment I'm jumping a Spectre 230 with a PD 218R. I'll be downsizing progressively and I was hoping someone would know what the lower limits of main and reserve canopy sizes can safely fit in a Vector 3 M358. After getting input from a number of people, instructors included, I'm going to work my way down to a 170 main and stay there for a while. I'd like to have a relatively similar sized reserve. Should I start looking into a different sized container?

Thanks,
-R
There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Pick a nice day, and try it. - Douglas Adams

well first off does the container hold the 230 snugly or fairly comfortably. If snugly you will be able to go down to a 210. You might be able to safely drop down to a 190 with your container but anything past that would be unsafe. As far as the reserve goes you would only want to go one size smaller because you don't want to have your reserve too losse in the pack tray or in the freebag.

But then again that is just my input take what you want from it
EXPECT THE WORST, HOPE FOR THE BEST!!!

The 230 fits pretty snugly... it's a pain in the ass to get into the d-bag when the air is dry. I've been told that a 210 9-cell will have about the same pack volume as the 230 7 cell. I am going to get a 9 cell (probably a Sabre or Sabre2) when I replace my Spectre.

Speaking of which, anyone want a Spectre 230?;)

I definately do NOT want my reserve just floating around in the tray.
One size smaller is a 193, is having a 193 reserve with a 170 main still a reasonable (safe) combination?

I'll do a search right after I post this, but may as well ask too... what are your opinions on putting padding in for the main?

There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Pick a nice day, and try it. - Douglas Adams

Hi,
According to UPT, your container is fit for 230.
I have V353 which they specify for 210 and have a Sabre2 190 fitting fine. Going down again to 170 requires padded dbag (at least for my and my riggers sake).
So I would say, fitting 210 to your container should not be a problem (keep that loop tight) but 190 wouldnt make me comfortable but discuss with your rigger

*edited to add:
What's up Rod! See you on Saturday?

Nobody posted this so I will ask you.

Why do you want to downsize your Reserve? What possible sense would that make?:S

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

Hey that combination of main and reserve is not bad. I currently have a Sabre2 190 with a PDReserve 176. I currently load it at 1.28 which is pretty high for my jump numbers. Don't worry folks I know someone will say something about that. As far as what can fit into the container you are looking for you might want to contact the manufacturer about what sizes will fit properly.

Like I said though, these are just my opinions take what you want from what I say

Well,

I don't know about the OP but as for me I went from a Spectre to a Sabre2. I switched canopies because the Sabre2 was more agressive all around thasn the Spectre. I loved my Spectre for the consistent soft openings and on heading openings but I just like the Sabre2 more