TrophyHusband

Has anyone built a poker table?

What type of table are you building, 8 person octagon, 10 person oval? Cupholders? Rail?

I have never built one but have come across very nice and detailed plans on this here internet. All of which are blocked by my company. Keep us updated:)

--"Someday you will die and somehow somethings going to steal your carbon" -MM

Funny that you wrote this today. I just read an article in the paper yesterday about how game tables are the hot thing right now. Be sure you show us how it comes out!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I have built many different Tables.

The first Table I built was a very unique design. It is an extended Octagon "Race Track" Table. Built from Pine 1x12`s as the Base with 4" Chair Rail as the Rail. This table was donated to Skydive the Farm about a year ago and is still being used there every weekend.

I also built 7 different Traditional Hold em Tables including Detachable Padded Rail.
For the Traditional Tables I use 2ea 4x8 sheets of 3/4 OAK plywood (One for the Base, One for the Rail), Speed Cloth or Velveteen (DO NOT use felt. It will not last), ¼” Neoprene under the Cloth, 4" Foam Padding for the Rail covered with Whisper Vinyl. Usually takes me 10 Hours to build a single table and costs about $140 in material.

Most materials can be Purchased at JoAnns Fabrics (Velveteen, Whisper Vinyl and Foam).

Some great resources:
http://www.homepokertourney.com/tables_build.htm

and

http://www.scottkeen.com/forum/

My First Table
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/gallery/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Personal_Galleries/Chiquita/Skydive_the_Farm/October_24th-25th_2004&image=STF_102404_012.jpg&img=36&tt=

it is an 84 x 42 oval, plenty big for 10 people, but since i don't know 10 people that play poker, i'm making it for 8. it will have a 4 inch padded rail and a 4 inch race track. the race track will be 8 sections of quilted maple each divided by 1/4 inch ebony inlay. cup holders are still an issue.the first problem it that i'm making it so that i can take it to anyone's house and set it on theie dining room table and play. if i had cup holders, the table would rest on them. the other problem is that i haven't found cup holders that compliment the craftsmanship of the racetrack. my idea is to make them out of wood and then ebonize them to match the inlay. building them out of wood is time consuming and i don't know yet if they would be durable enough. i'll retrofit cup holders if i figure what i want to do. i'm also banding the edge of the base that shows under the outside of the rail with walnut and ebonizing it to match the inlay. i'm not sure yet about a decorative inlay there yet. i intend to use velveteen for the playing surface. i'm not sure of the color yet. i want to go to the fabric store and pick colors for the velveteen and vinyl at the same time to make sure they look good together.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

I just built one a couple weeks ago.

I used 1" high density foam for the rail and marine vinyl. The marine vinyl will save you some money and it water resistant. I found some really soft vinyl, but the lady working said that it will show water marks/stain if it were to get wet. With the way that WE play poker, you can be assured there will be frosty drinks on the table.

I also found a really nice Faux Suede in a deep red color. I used 1/4 headliner foam under the playing surface. The table turned out great and was a pretty big hit around Christmas. The final step will be having my buddy air brush the table. Havent decided if we are going to do place holders or just hand rankings yet though.

My college roommates and I built one last year, it was a bar with a removable laquered wood top with a felt topped card table underneath. It was built around my mini-fridge and had several shelves for liquer. Sadly when I left for South America I had to leave it behind and it apparentally met a terrible fate at the end of the year.

edit: if you are looking for green felt, I found a supply from my local video game operator. They usually keep alot around to recover pool tables.

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

I am just finishing my first table. It is 96"x48" oval racetrack w/ 10 cupholders. Used moleskin for the playing surface. Check out the links that Thontas posted, the scott keene forum has tons of info and pictures to help with building a table. pimpmypoker.com has some very nicelooking cupholders if you decide not make them yourself. Also you could use folding legs instead of it being a table topper, to save you the trouble with the cupholders. ($16 at home Depot) Will post pics of my table as soon as I finish, just have to put 2 more coats of poly on the racetrack. Good luck

thanks for the links. i have some questions about the rail. have you ever used batting? i've seen apholsterers use it when builind furniture, but i don't know why. i have some and will try it unless there's a reason i shouldn't.also, how much oversize do i cut the foam rubber? should it wrap araound onto the bottom and get stapled along with the vinyl, or should it stop at the edge of board? i'm using 1/2 inch mdf, but am now reading that it will be flimsy and that i should have used 3/4 inch ply. how fucked am i? to save weight and money, would 3/4 inch ply for the base and 1/2 inch ply for the rail, racetrack, and playing surface work?

www.kjandmegan.com

I would use the MDF for the rail if you haven't cut it yet. Get a piece of 3/4 ply for the base. The sandply at home depot was about the same price as MDF will make for a lighter table. For the rail leave just enough foam to wrap around the sides. YOu don't want it on the bottom side though. Use the search on that scott keene forum and you will find detailed intructions for wraping the rail w/pictures. Like i said I am just finishing my first table but did a lot of reasearch there before I started. My table has turned out great for some who hasn't picked up a power tool since shop class 15 years ago.

thanks for the links. i have some questions about the rail. have you ever used batting?

No. I have always used the Green Foam from JoAnns Fabric. I dont know about using Batting but I would suspect that the rail will not look as nice with it. I have used 1/2" Batting under the SpeedCloth (Real similar to Pool Table Felt) when I used it on the playing surface. I didnt really like the result. The Batting seemed to have too much Memory and looked less than smooth after a few games. 1/4" neoprene gave a MUCH better result.

how much oversize do i cut the foam rubber?

If you are talking about the Foam for the Rail... I used 6" wide pieces for a 3 1/2" rail. I used 3m Spray adhesive on the Rail Board and Press it Firmly into the Foam when Stretching the whisper Vinyl. Marine Vinyl does not stretch as well or as neat as Whisper Vinyl.

i'm using 1/2 inch mdf, but am now reading that it will be flimsy and that i should have used 3/4 inch ply.

I have never used MDF because I dont like the weight and it just doesn’t hold up as well as good old Oak Plywood.

would 3/4 inch ply for the base and 1/2 inch ply for the rail, racetrack, and playing surface work?

That is exactly what I would do. Like I said before I have built 8 Tables now. Everyone I have learned something new on. The Biggest lesson I have learned is dont try to cut costs on materials.
OAK Plywood (Yea it is expensive but worth it)
Whisper Vinyl (NOT Marine Vinyl.. Much prettier Rail and easier to work with)
Closed Cell Foam for the Rail (And Press the Rail down hard as Possible into the Foam when you stretch the Vinyl) Good Foam will help make the rail look great.

A good Smooth Rail make all the difference in the world on how good you finished table will look in my opinion.

The way I would Build a Race Track Table at this point would be to use 1 3/4" sheet of Finished Oak Plywood for the Base. One Sheet 1/2" Oak Plywood for the Rail and Playing Surface. Stain and Lacquer the Exposed Race Track.

BTW.. You can easily find Coupons for 40% a single item purchase for JoAnns. Get several and go in and out of the store until you get everything. ;)

I attached a Pic of one of my Traditional Tables. I used Marine Vinyl on this one and as you can see the Rail did not come out perfect. On the tables I used the whisper Vinyl, The rails were Flawless.

i've already cut the mdf, drilled holes, and countersunk for the screws and t-nuts. if it turns out that its too heavy and a little flimsy, i'll give it away or sell it and build another one. the thing is i bought mdf before researching it.

www.kjandmegan.com

You said you used the green foam from Joanns and then you said use closed cell foam. I just used the same stuff and is not a closed cell foam, it is a high density open cell foam. Closed cell foam will not absorb liquid. I used the extra green foam as a brush to poly my racetrack and it definately absorbs liquid. BTW I have played on one of your tables (I assume) at Skinnyshreks and it is a nice table. Maybe if he didn't go up to the Farm every weekend I could get him to play in my game sometime.

You are correct. Sorry. The Closed Cell was what I used under the Playing surface. high density is what I use for the rails.

Yes.. Skinnys Table is one of mine.

My next Project is a Race Track Table Top That will sit on a Small Craps Table Base.
Just about finished with the Craps Table design.

i agree with the importance of a good wrinkle and flaw free rail. that and clean transitions between materials make a huge difference on any project. as far as rail material goes, i just noticed something. my bar stools are covered with some sort of microfiber faux seude material. it looks good, feel good, and must be durable. my 2 year oldsits on one for 2 or 3 meals a day. one chair os constantly smeared with syrup, chocolate, ketchup, mustard and whatever else he happens to be eating. i clean it with the steam cleaner quite often and it always comes out looking brand new. if i can find some on this in a color i like, i think i'll try it. i found someone to watch my kids tomorrow, so i'll be able to get more materials and be able to resume progress. i'll take some pictures as i finish portions of it and throw them up here. thanks for the coupon tip.

www.kjandmegan.com

I built one last year. 4x8' with race track. It came out very nicely, I'll try to post pics later. Lots of really good info Here as well as links to many good online suppliers of high density foam, closed cell foam, speed cloth, chips, cup holders, etc. Also great ideas for tables and build plans (free obviously).

I built mine with a birch inlaid race track, green cloth with a beige faux-leather rail (marine vinyl from Joann's).

Good luck! It's a really fun project...

-Nick
--
I used to pray to God for a bicycle.
Then I realized God doesn't work that way.
So I stole one and prayed for forgiveness.

i finally finished me poker table. we played last night and i won. there are some craftsmanship issues that are appairently only noticeable to me, and i learned how not to do veneer. if i were to build another one, there are some things that i would do different, but over all, i'm very happy with it. here are some pictures. one picture is of the racetrack off of the table. the figure of the wood is absolutelty beautiful, but my photograpgy skills are too lacking to do it justice.

www.kjandmegan.com