dixieskydiver

Leg cramps?

So I was on a tracking dive this weekend and I was tracking my little heart out, point the hell out of my toes and keeping pressure on my legs and all that other happy stuff (and quickly noticing how awfully bad I need to work on my track as everyone floated above me) when after about thirty seconds into the jump I got a terrible cramp in my calf. This has happened before but this is the first time that hydrating, massaging, stretching, staying off of it, sleeping it off have all failed to work. If anything I think it may be worse today, I've never pulled a muscle...could I be confusing a cramp with a pulled muscle?

Dixie
HISPA #56 Facil Rodriguez
"Scientific research has shown that 60% of the time, it works every time."

So I was on a tracking dive this weekend and I was tracking my little heart out, point the hell out of my toes and keeping pressure on my legs and all that other happy stuff (and quickly noticing how awfully bad I need to work on my track as everyone floated above me) when after about thirty seconds into the jump I got a terrible cramp in my calf. This has happened before but this is the first time that hydrating, massaging, stretching, staying off of it, sleeping it off have all failed to work. If anything I think it may be worse today, I've never pulled a muscle...could I be confusing a cramp with a pulled muscle?

Low potassium levels from dehydration maybe?

Walt

Walt

Yes I thought of this and it is a distinct possibility, I do drink LOTS of Coke. I did make an effort to hydrate yesterday, but then I drank a bunch of beer soooo...

Dixie

It wasn't a sunset tracking dive was it?

You were probably just dehydrated. Its easy to do at DZs, you're doing your thing, having fun not thinking about drinking water. Top it off you drank beer the night before and you've had a couple of cokes to drink during the day.

That's why ppl see me w/ my camel back on quite often around the DZ, helps make me drink water.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Walt

Yes I thought of this and it is a distinct possibility, I do drink LOTS of Coke. I did make an effort to hydrate yesterday, but then I drank a bunch of beer soooo...

It's my understanding that bananas are a great source of potassium.

Walt

Walt

Got it, eat bananas and drink water. I like bananas and I guess I can tolerate water. :S
It's my understanding that bananas are a great source of potassium.

Walt

Dixie

Gatorade or other sports drinks will help keep your electrolytes balanced, which can also help with the cramping. You can also take potassium supplements (I take one pill twice a day and rarely have cramping problems). If I don't take them though... OUCH.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

So why oh why do I get cramps! I have had them in freefall a few times too and they don't hurt as bad as they do on the ground!

If you see me at a DZ, chances are, I'll be eating a banana or carrying a bottle of water around that I drink from all day. Still get the damn cramps!

As far as your leg still hurting is concerned.... it's probably just lactic acid build up (like when you excercise a lot after a lay off and your muscles get sore). I get lactic acid from bad cramps (but those are normally the ones that wake me up in the middle of the night).
www.sneale-create.com

I had a lot of these when I was pregnant and they use to wake me up in the middle of the night. It felt like someone sticking a knife in the back of my calf. I would sometimes strain a muscle because of the intensity of the muscle cramping, which is why it would sometimes hurt afterwards.

My doctor told me that quinine is what is required to ease them and as I was pregnant I could not take quinine tablets but I should drink lots of Indian tonic water which apparently has loads of the stuff in it.

I have to say this seemed to the job.

and I guess I can tolerate water.

My daughter hates water too and would never drink it. When she got a kidney stone at age 16, I told her things had to change! Now I can get her to drink those flavored waters which are sold at most grocery stores. Wal-Mart has their own brand which is the cheapest and she says it is good. Crystal Light also makes on-the-go vials that are just enough to pour into a water bottle, shake it up and then you have another type of flavored drink at only 5 calories. They work well too.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon