boinky

Fixin' to be Texan

This evening, in addition to sayings I have to learn to use...I also learned about some words that I was told are "Have to Use" to be a Texan. ;)

Read the list. Tell me if you agree. Feel free to add others at your whim.

*Y'all (self explanatory)

*Fixin' To (And all this time, I've been making myself say "about to")

*Ol' (As in, "The cute little ol' doggie)

*Mess (Either, 1. A verb-" Don't mess with Texas." 2. A collective noun-"I'm gonna' cook me a mess of greens." 3. noun-(as in someone's looney outrageous)-"Your kids are a mess.")

*Sir & Ma'am (Shoot...I already do this)

*Yeeha or yee-ha (When you're really excited)

*Yahoo (A Mountain Dew or a reference to a northerner)

*Is All (Something to end a sentence with)

*And Stuff (Something to end a sentence with if the sentence is listing more than one thing)

*Bigass (That's a bigass truck)
Nina

Are we called "DAWGs" because we stick our noses up people's butts? (RIP Buzz)
Yep, you're a postwhore-billyvance

Skeeter bumps.
2x4
4x4
if the sun don't shine and the creek don't rise!
how do you lamb that?
is a frog ass water tight?

Someone dies, someone says how stupid, someone says it was avoidable, someone says how to avoid it, someone calls them an idiot, someone proposes rule chan

Well damn it! I already use a lot of these, does that mean I need to move to Texas? :P I guess it doesnt help that a couple of my friends are from Texas and it just rubs off on ya as you hang out with them for a while.

A man will do anything for the right woman,
and when that woman destroys him,
that man will become a hunk of meat with the common sense of a rodeo clown! ~ Christopher Titus

Hmmmm....Maybe I'm Texan too.

gotta add....my grandmother (rest her soul) really believed that all people from Texas were bad. She was appalled when my best college friend was from Beaumont. She called all y'all Texicans. :D:o:S

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

You have to say it right, though, Nina.... Fixin' ta ....all kinda run together

Practice.... fixin'ta....

Then there's y'ont to? i.e. Do you want to?

J'already eat or J'eat yet?

linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Do you have to take a test?

ABSOLUTELY!!! There's a test at the end of the book! ;)

THE TEST. Oh, you didn't know there was going to be a test? There is. Here it is.

Nina

THE TEST. Oh, you didn't know there was going to be a test? There is. Here it is.

Of course with my new found knowledge, I actually think the line should go something like this:

"THA TEST. Ah, ya' din know thar was a gonna' be a test? Welp, thar is. It's rightchere."

;)How'd I do, y'all?;)
Nina

If you haven't already realized this, you are going to love it. Texans are some of the most wonderfull people in the world. I went there for a visit once (San Antonio) and I was amazed that you could find such a freindly culture, particularly since it was a reasonably large city. In particular if you tell a Texan that you are from out of town they will bend over backward to be hospitable to you (this might be a general southern thing). A freind and I were walking around downtown and did not know where to find a good bar. We approached two women and explained that we did not want to bother them but we just wanted directions to a good bar. Once they found out we were from out of town and that we weren't trying to harras them they became our personal tour guides ( If we tried that where I live they would have told us to piss off).

I have a very high opinion of Texans and would love to have the opportunity to live there. I know you will love it.

Cheers,

Richards.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I'm learning that the folks here ARE very kind, caring and hospitable.

Funny story...I was in a Walmart here in town. I mentioned to one of the employees that I was considering working there and the young lady was going to personally walk me back to the computer where you apply. And there was absolutely NO benefit to her at all! :)
Nina