TheInnerMirror

Sentry vs Sabre2

Just getting to getting my own gear, and have it pretty much narrowed down to a Sentry 170 or Sabre2 170. Wing loading at .9/1.

I've been flying a Sabre2 and Spectre 170, consistently landing pretty perfectly in both wind and no wind conditions.

The main appeal to the Sentry is that it's about half the price, and seems like it will have a bit more room for me to grow with.

I can't find much review info on the Sentry, nothing in the gear section of dz.com, so was wondering if anyone had an opinion on it? And how it compares with the Sabre2? General opinions on Flight Concepts canopies, customer service, etc?

Many thanks!

~chel.C

The Sentry is styled more like the original Sabre. Square and stable. If you were comparing it to a Sabre 2 you'd find that the Sentry would be slower turning, shorter recover arc, and a different flare point.

Flight Concepts has been around for a while, they make a lot of canopies for demo teams.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

My first rig was a Pro-Series 170 (by FC) and while it was in the shop for a reline they gave me a Sentry 170 to demo for FREE. The guys at Flight Concepts are great and their service level is A+++ for a skydiving biz (on par with L&B).

I have about 20-30 jumps on that Sentry, 100-120 jumps on the Pro-Series and 250+ jumps on my SabreII 150.

Even though I really like the guys at FC, I can't reccomend that canopy to you. It will smack the hell out of you (I'll get a video of it opening posted if I feel motovated when I get home tonight... send me a PM). When I had my Pro-Series/Sentry rig I thought it was normal to have bruises on your inner thighs from skydiving. It flew great for me as an A liscensed jumper with 30some jumps loading it at about 1:1, but I don't think it will grow with you as your flying skills improve. It turns like a truck and feels more like a 'parachute' over your head than a wing... I never felt very connected to it at all.

Of all the canopies that I have jumped (Skymaster, Manta, Clipper (also FC), Raider (FC), Pro-Series, Sentry, SabreI, SabreII, Spectre, SafireII, Crossfire, Nitro) I like the SabreII the best (not ready to jump the crossfire). The SabreII does everything I want it to and has allowed me to land in some hairy places without a problem. Its an exciting ride, it opens sweet (people might argue this but watch my florida video for my rebuttal (http://www.youtube.com/floats18)) and it behaves very well under pressure. The Sentry is a great deal and it will get you to the ground safely but I reccomend that you spend the extra money! You'll get what you pay for!
--- and give them wings so they may fly free forever

DiverDriver in Training

Who are you? By that, I mean who are you as a canopy pilot? What do you want from the parachute? Is it the flight? ...the landing? ...is it a means to end the freefall so we can safely play grab and tickle again? ...CRW? ...what will you want next season? 3-5 years from now?

Riddle me these and I'd point you towards either a 7 cell or 9 cell canopy. Newer is generally better than old but is more expensive. Size is important. Skills are important but they don't replace experience.

...You likely don't know what you don't know just like the rest of us. ;)

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

I have a few jumps on the Sentry and on other makes of canopies.

The current Sentry will not smack you when packed as FCI recomends.

Up side FCI has a kind of "trade in" program. And as Phree said makes canopies for all but 2 of the military demo teams ( that I know of) and several of the civilian ones too. They also make tandems for a few Dz's and individiuals (I am one of 'em).

Tell Red what you want and that is what you will get.
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!