lisamariewillbe

Need this info quick ... Help

I just tried to request my sons medical records to be transferred to his new doctor here. The old doctor says I must pay $20.90 PER PAGE. His medical record is at min 50 to 60 pages. Is this legal?
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this

Not a Dr. or have any real knowledge in this category, but common since tells me he is full of it. You should have accesses to your son’s medical records for free. I can see them charging you 3 or 4 bucks to fax them but what do I know.
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not." - Kurt Cobain

I work in a medical office and if your requesting them to be sent to another doctor there is no charge. The only time offices are suppose to charge is if it is for a lawyer or insurance company and if it has to be notarized.They can not with hold your records unless you owe them money. For some reason if you do that might justify the charge. The amount is not 20.90 per page it is like less then 50 cents per page. You can look it up on line. Call them on this. They are trying to rip you off. The max that most offices charge is a total of 35.00 for the whole thing.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

$20.90 per page is not a legitimate price request. In effect, this doctor is holding these records at ransom. This is unethical. It pisses me off to hear a doctor do this.

The first step for you would be to contact the medical board in your state and ask whether this is acceptable. Then ask the medical board what to tell him.

Then call him and say, "I spoke with the medical board, and the medical board disagrees with you. Now, do you charge me a fair rate, or do I submit this complaint paperwork?"

Another way to do this would be to send the doc a fax demanding that your son's "medical records be made available for pickup by 3:00 p.m. on April 5, 2006." If he wants payment of $20 per page, say, "Sue me for it." Odds are, he'll have no choice but to give them to you and then try to sue. Ethically, they are YOUR SON'S records, not his.

A reasonable rate would be 20 cents per page. For some things, a higher charge is reasonable, i.e., radiographs, monitor strips, etc.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Information on your son's medical record is "owned" by the individual; the records themselves are "owned" by the provider/doctor. While there are probably states that permit providers to charge administrative fees for transmitting or copying records (not sure what your state law is), lawyers generally discourage the charging of a fee as a dispute on this issue could result in a malpractice case alleging all sorts of unethical activities.
Nevertheless, it is probably permitted to charge a fee.

my suggestion would be to talk with the office and see if you could come pick up the records for a nominal fee -- and maybe find out what the law allows in your state. However, from an ethical standpoint, your physician should know that he could be sued for malpractice if you decided to go that route (from a principle standpoint).

personally I think that its disgusting -- sounds like his office (or nurse/staff) just doesnt' want to deal with the administrative hassle of copying records and/or is lazy.

My kids' old doctor office had the policy of $1.00 per page if "I" went in and requested them, however if I filled out the trasnfer form that I'm sure all doctors have, they would send them to the new doctor for free. Ask the new doctor for the form, actually they should fax it or mail it for you... good luck...:)
Exodus 20
Christians aren't perfect, just forgiven
1 cross + 3 nails = 4GVN

Hey you, I spoke to my doctor last week about medical records transfer and a friend of mine had his faxed to him last week. THEY CAN NOT WITHOLD those records and CAN'T charge for them, only a minimal fee for perhaps processing or their time, but what they said they are charging you is outrageous!!!!!!!! They are YOUR records! See an attorney and get this asshole's license suspended or have him investigated!!!!!

till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates....
In skydiving, the only thing that stops you is the ground..............
PMS# 472 Muff #3863 TPM#95

Lisa Marie, I am only allowed to charge a set fee set by the state board of dental examiners.the fee that your physician can charge should be a set fee by the state that he/she is licensed in.A simple call to the medical board in your previous state should clarify things. Blue Skies, Dave Jump the DC-3 Easter weekend at SSM

Hey you, I spoke to my doctor last week about medical records transfer and a friend of mine had his faxed to him last week. THEY CAN NOT WITHOLD those records and CAN'T charge for them, only a minimal fee for perhaps processing or their time, but what they said they are charging you is outrageous!!!!!!!! They are YOUR records! See an attorney and get this asshole's license suspended or have him investigated!!!!!

I always wondered why my malpractice insurance is so exspensive!

Don't know what they CAN or CAN't do, all I know is that I went in for my son's record, and it is HUGE like 8 inches thick, and they gave it to us, no questions asked. Of course, I was delivering it to the hospital in Iowa City, with my son, so maybe they had no question about it's use, and weren't feeling threatened. oh, and I went to another hospital and picked up a bunch of his xrays, same thing. No prob.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Don't know what they CAN or CAN't do, all I know is that I went in for my son's record, and it is HUGE like 8 inches thick, and they gave it to us, no questions asked. Of course, I was delivering it to the hospital in Iowa City, with my son, so maybe they had no question about it's use, and weren't feeling threatened. oh, and I went to another hospital and picked up a bunch of his xrays, same thing. No prob.

Even though I can legally charge I don't because 99% of the time it is someone who is moving to another town/state.

It depends upon the state since I am a master of needing medical care.

Usually having them sent directly to another Doctor there is no charge.

If you wanted your own copy it can be chargeable but not at the rate you are saying. Here in Florida it is $1.00 a page but even that can get pricey.

Look into your state laws on it or refer to a lawyer.

Wish you the best of luck on that.

Laters,

K-MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B|

The REAL KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!

"HESITATION CAUSES DEATH!!!"
"Be Slow to Fall into Friendship; but when Thou Art in, Continue Firm & Constant." - SOCRATES

Well I got the new doctor to reqest them with my signature and they are much cheaper... but there will still be a charge. I told them to bill me and I would compare it with what the medical board told me.

Thanks lawrocket and everyone else. I was floored because Ive never had to pay more then 10 bucks... and when Ive paid its always been things like xrays or something. This doctor did alot of weird things anyways... he wouldnt bill the insurance provider even though he was on the primary list and found out that he should have been ordering blood work on my son and he wasnt... as well as gave him a drug this new doctor feels is unacceptable for a child.

I dont sue, dont believe in it for most circumstance. I will however notify the medical board as well as send a letter to anyone else who can invistagate his practices.
Sudsy Fist: i don't think i'd ever say this
Sudsy Fist: but you're looking damn sudsydoable in this