Kuper

RSL on Oddysey was removed. does the master rigger HAVE TO submit the info to sunpath?

hello,
i'm not a rigger. i'm just asking here because i can't get a complete answer in my home DZ. i'll appreciate your answer.

my RSL was removed, by a master rigger (not in my home DZ), after i've asked him to do that.
when we did the modification we didn't send the info to sunpath.

my main questions is:
DOES THE MASTER RIGGER HAVE TO submit the information about the removal from my rig - to sunpath (either by a regular email or by the website form) in order for it to be LEGAL to JUMP ON THIS RIG?

i know that every master/ rigger can decide if they repcak my reserve with or w/o the rsl - and i'll deal with that issue next time i'll give my rig for a repack. but for now - i'm kinda grounded because i didn't submit it... and i just wonder what's the deal with that.

thanx,
Ori Kuper.
http://www.orikuper.printroom.com

go to Sunpaths website
www.sunpath.com and read thru AC105 and the javelin Oddysey Clarification section...that will answer all your questions and if you want the same page also gives you the ability to submit your rig info to sunpath......But your legal to jump as long as the alteration is listed on your data card and in the master riggers log book.

yes it is listed. i've read the stuff on the PDFs on the site and it says what you've said here. it's just that i was told that i'm not legal to jump if it's not listed in the manufactorer's list as well, and that's why i decided to ask here.
thank you very much for your answer!
http://www.orikuper.printroom.com

:)
Please read FAA AC105-2C pages 5 & 6 which says very clear that the Master Rigger willing to do the alteration must ask the approval from the FAA.

The AC105-2C says what paperwork the Master Rigger needs to present the FAA inspector.

SPP papers & guide lines are to be presented to the FAA & be approved by the FAA Inspector.

After all done the Master Rigger should inform the mfg. (SPP) on the website.

From SPP letter:

Reserve Static Line (RSL) and the Javelin/Javelin Odyssey
Reference: This letter supersedes SPP letter regarding removal of the reserve static line (RSL)
dated 16 May 2005.
1. Is the RSL a part of the TSO’ed components of the system?
YES
2. Can any or all of the RSL components (example: RSL lanyard, hook Velcro on reserve riser, guide
rings on pin flap and main riser RSL ring) be removed from a Javelin/Javelin Odyssey without
voiding the TSO?
YES, however the FAA determines this to be an “alteration”. This means that only a
master parachute rigger or the manufacturer can perform this action. (Ref. AC105-2c)
Once the master parachute rigger or manufacturer, removes the requested RSL components
in compliance with AC105-2c and manufacturers alteration guidelines
, the alteration must be
noted on both the packing data card and the master parachute riggers log book or filed with
the production files at the manufacturer.
(See www.sunpath.com, if you would like to register your rig or customers rig with us and
permanently file this alteration with the manufacturer

3. Does removal of the RSL void the TSO?
YES, this only applies if someone OTHER than an FAA master parachute rigger, foreign
equivalent or manufacturer removes any or all RSL components, or the removal of the
components is not logged on the packing data card appropriately.
4. Who can pack a reserve in a Javelin/Javelin Odyssey without a RSL?
As long as a master parachute rigger has complied with AC105-2c and the manufacturers
alteration guidelines, as well as recorded the alteration appropriately
, any senior or master
rigger or foreign equivalent can repack the reserve

Safe Rigging !!!