pete2005

cleaning the canopy?

Just wondering is it any posibility of cleaning the canopy from dust for example.I have katana with around 1500 jumps in desert conditions , its still all right ,but it has o lot of dust on it.I ve seen on pd web site that they doing in the service something like cleaning of canopy.Does someone know how they do it? is it possible? Well i dont want put my ka in wash mashine:D maybe using a sponge with bit water and soap?thnx for any ideas.....................

After obtaining advice on the same matter, I cleaned dust off canopies a few times by just wiping the material gently with a cloth soaked in clean water (no detergents or soap), rinsing the cloth regularly. The damp cloth pics up a LOT of dirt / dust.

After drying the canopy out, I noticed no difference in the feel of the material, nor any difference in performance on subsequent skydives.

I wouldn't do it too often though, as repeated washes might eventually affect the porosity of the material.

What about swoopers, they "clean" their canopies in the pond quite a bit. The one's here do anyway, and sometimes not by design :)

I was actually wondering the same thing. My plan was to fill up a big rubbermaid bin with water, put the canopy in and swoosh around a bit then hang it up to dry.

Are lines effected (microline) by water?
-Patrick