Richards

Face transplant in China

BEIJING -- A man whose face was badly disfigured in an attack by a black bear received a partial face transplant yesterday, in what a hospital described as a first for China.

The claims, if verified by independent experts, would make China the second country to conduct the procedure.

The partial face transplant came only half a year after doctors in Amiens, France, performed the world's first such procedure, transplanting lips, a chin and a nose on to a woman who had been attacked by a dog.

In yesterday's operation, a statement from Xijing Hospital said Li Guoxing was given a new cheek, upper lip, nose and an eyebrow from a single donor. No details were provided about the donor.

"Up to now, the patient is in good condition," the military hospital said. "The operation was successful. It is predicted that the wounds can be healed within one week."

In its statement, the Chinese hospital said Li had been badly mauled in an attack by a black bear two years ago.

Photos released by the hospital showed the extent of Li's injuries before the surgery, his right eye nearly closed and the cheek and lip below badly ripped exposing pink flesh.

The procedure underscores China's growing scientific prowess while raising questions about its patchy regulation of medical experiments.
Next story: Canadians in firefight

Holy shit. That is staggering. I have never in my life heard of a face transplant. Kudos to medical science.

Richards
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

You're very observant ;) hehe

From the first post.

The partial face transplant came only half a year after doctors in Amiens, France, performed the world's first such procedure, transplanting lips, a chin and a nose on to a woman who had been attacked by a dog.

My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto