arlo

mentos and soda = fountain of fluid (someone PLEASE do this and get video!)

okay, i'm thinking turtle is onto something here. :P

you could wrap the mentos in something that would take slightly longer to dissolve than the time necessary to screw the cap back on. but it couldn't be something that would "cling" to the mentos. the reason it works is the sites of nucleation and clingy stuff on mentos would block these sites.

i guess you could get elaborate and use a sealed magnetic device to enclose the mentos, then use an external magnet to pull the metal away bathing the mentos in the soda. trouble with that is now you have a hunk or two of metal inside a container which has the potential to, uh, expand quite rapidly. :) too, if it has the potential to explode, then whoever screws the cap back on better run like a m-fer. :o:D

please place the video camera some distance away to record reactions...and make sure to zoom in.:D:P

okay, i'm thinking turtle is onto something here. :P

you could wrap the mentos in something that would take slightly longer to dissolve than the time necessary to screw the cap back on. but it couldn't be something that would "cling" to the mentos. the reason it works is the sites of nucleation and clingy stuff on mentos would block these sites.

Does it have to be mentos?

I swear Pop Rocks are volitle.:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

lol! pop rocks, as volatile as they are, are completely different because there is CO2 INSIDE the candy. pop rocks pop because that gas is trapped inside the candy, so as soon as the candy "shell" melts, the gas escapes and POW! you eyes roll back. :|

the mentos acts as an oxidizer sorta and brings the CO2 from the soda out of solution. the mentos are also heavier so they will sink to the bottom of the 2-lt bottle and be completely submerged.

so the reactions are different.

lol! pop rocks, as volatile as they are, are completely different because there is CO2 INSIDE the candy. pop rocks pop because that gas is trapped inside the candy, so as soon as the candy "shell" melts, the gas escapes and POW! you eyes roll back. :|

the mentos acts as an oxidizer sorta and brings the CO2 from the soda out of solution. the mentos are also heavier so they will sink to the bottom of the 2-lt bottle and be completely submerged.

so the reactions are different.

This is a very smart woman. I'm extremely impressed!!

STFU turtle.. poprocks are Keith. :D

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

This is a very smart woman. I'm extremely impressed!!

STFU turtle.. poprocks are Keith. :D

I'm going to pop rock a 20oz bottle - do it on video and SHOW YOU ALL!!!!!

Then I MIGHT get a few mentos and do something similar.

Question - what if you ground up the mentos shell and put it in the vitamin shells?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

OK arlo and turtle stop trying to be so elaborate:D:D:D
KISS
try celulose tubingor ocat them lightly in an oil, this may give you a couple of seconds to put the lid on.

However most importantly (since I have not tried these variations myself) experiemnt and document what you do (video is sufficient) try a few different variables. Try different candy (i hated typing candy:ph34r:) Different drinks, diffent ammounts of lollies (sorry candy)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I only bought two bottles of the cheap food lion cola knock off - worked just as good.

Now way in hell you're just going to get the lid back on....it reminded me of the John Wayne movie where they are capping oil wells....stuff spurting everywhere.

Second idea was to wrap them in tissue paper, not fast enough for that either.

I have a few more ideas but I need more coke and a shower now.
Scars remind us that the past is real

okay, if someone wants to try this before I can get more coke....

unscrew the top, place a kleenex over the top of the bottle making a little pocket down into the bottle - BE CAREFUL not to let the kleenex touch the liquid (this was my mistake). Carefully put as many mentos as you can fit into the top, cap it, shake it to break the mentos out of the pocket and watch

B|
Scars remind us that the past is real

So, from the force that the soda exerted when you were trying to put the cap on, and making a spectacular mess, do you thing that it would be enough to actually rupture the bottle if you were able to get the cap on before the reaction takes place?

Did you try just dropping an unopened package of mentos into the bottle?

Did you get video? B|