tdog

Materials: Stiffener Inserts

What are the different materials that are used as tucktab and flap stiffener inserts?

Where can you get these materials?

Recommendations for cutting these materials, both for inserting grommets and cutting to size so edges are smooth and not razor like?

Note - in the learning project I am currently playing with, there are no TSO/Manufacture Recommendation concerns I must follow, so throw out any and all materials you have seen used, along with the pros and cons with each.

Recommendations for cutting these materials, both for inserting grommets and cutting to size so edges are smooth and not razor like?

I have always used tin snips....

(though I must admit I have always had tin snips around.) Large scissors might work for some of the softer materials.

...and then treated the edges with sandpaper.

Cadillac plastics N Hollywood, CA. 818 980 0840. Most rigs use two different thicknesses of MDS nylon. 1/16 for heavy duty applications such as main container side flaps and 1/32 for lighter applications such as riser cover pockets etc. Cadillac's stock #'s are 174020 for 1/16 and 298544 for 1/32. Scissors work well for most work. Heat the stiffeners with a hair dryer and they will be eaiser to cut/ punch/ sew. Hope this helps.

Mick.

Typically you want to use Nylon 6 MDS. Avoid the Nylon 6/6, it is brittle and will likely break on you during product manufacture.

Riggermick provided a good source for the material. You may also be able to buy some from paragear, rig manufacturers, or McMaster-Carr.

You can use heavy duty scissors, edge sharpness shouldnt be a problem, but you could probably rake the material over a straight edge to knock down an sharp spots. For the corners, just round them using the scissors. To cut the material for grommets use a punch, it works really well.