Jeffrey

Riggers and non riggers poll #4, this one is for every one.

So do you think this is the weak point for VSE risers?

Mike,

We all know that the 1” type III binding tape is rated something like 100lbs. less than 5/8” type 4. It is also my experience and by design, type 4 square weave is inherently tougher than type III binding tape. But is it the week link ink in VSE risers? It’s hard to say, I don’t see them often enough to monitor and was the purpose of the poll and this thread. I can only say that knowing the many factors 1” risers can be subjected to today; using 5/8” type 4 raises my comfort level. I haven’t heard any reports of any breaking there but perhaps Kelly or Tony can chime in and share any info with us.

The only risers I have seen break there was in the 80’s and made with ¾” type III binding tape. They were also built way out of spec by today’s standard. So it’s understandable why they broke that way and I don’t want to go back to that.

Like with every thing, you have to keep an eye on them. Type 17 risers are a hi-performance item and should be checked closely for signs of fatigue and wear often.

If for any reasons you’re uncomfortable with 1" risers, get type 8.

Jeff