FireMedicJumper

So I tried my first 135 this weekend....

After a couple hundred jumps on various 150s I flew my first 135 yesterday. The 150s I have jumped include Sabre, Sabre2, Stiletto, Mamba, Katana, and my current main is a Samurai 150.

It seems there is a big difference between a 150 and a 135. At least its more difference than a 170 to 150. I had no problems and landed it straight in, and would feel comfortable jumping it again, but I don't think I'm ready to rush my next downsize.

Is the difference really as big as I thought it was or did it just seem that way.

The canopy I jumped was a Stiletto 135.

Your wingloading is higher than mine... on a 135 I'm about 1.2 (1.3 if I'm wearing weights). I just ordered a new Sabre2 135 after 2+ years of my 150 Spectre. I agree with you, there seemed to be a much bigger difference between the 150 and 135s than 170 to 150. I also tried many different canopy styles and tried to compare the same canopy in different sizes.

I'm guessing just because the lines are that much shorter, so more responsive. I'm nervous about my new canopy, but do have about 20 jumps on a demo/borrowed Sabre2 135 including no wind landings with weights on and had no problems at all with landing. I have 600 jumps now, 400+ of them on my present canopy so definitely not a radical downsize.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

As the wing size goes down and loading goes up, smaller percentage differences make a larger change in the handling. I think you would perceive a smaller change if you were staying with the familiar handling of the same model you have been jumping (Samurai). The Stiletto doesn't dive and stay in the dive as much as the Samurai, but it does have a much shorter control stroke than the other canopies, and turns on toggles quicker than most canopies in the same size (at least for the same amount of control input).

One thing I noticed and discussed with the canopy's owner was the difference in our physical size and arm length. The canopy is set up for her on a short set of risers (14") and I was able to reach the stall point easily with my longer arms. It wasn't a problem but I had to pay attention not to pop myself back up too much on landing.

I found the same thing... When I went from 190 to 170 it was very little difference. 170 to 150, same thing. 150 to 135, still not that different (that whole progression took like 50 jumps total). But hundreds of jumps later when I went to a 120, suddenly the difference was HUGE!

I think there's just a point somewhere around 1.3 - 1.5 W/L (esp on sub-150 canopies) where the speed just seems to really pick up.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

When I first jumped a 107 I was amazed at the tiniest of things that would make the canopy not fly straight. That had been after doing some jumps on mostly 135s and 120s.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka