mdrejhon

Rainbow Boogie 2006 -- World's First Gay Day at a Skydiving Dropzone (Montreal, July 28-31)

Does anyone realize this is right after the World Freefall Convention. The Mother of all BOOGIES. also is there anyone here who is going to that boogie? in Illinios. A ton of planes this year. I hope I have some Money left over to go to the Rainbow Boogie.

[:/]

I'm not going to the WFFC. Even tho it'd be fun to hang with a bunch of skydivers that I haven't seen in a while, I'm just not up for that kind of lunacy.

I see enough stupid skydiver tricks at home on weather days... Like knee boarding thru the landing area (sans water) behind a pick up truck... Or the human/creeper slingshot which also involved pick up trucks...

Hmmmmm. Sounds like people only get hurt at the DZ when bad weather, alcohol and pick up trucks are involved?[:/]B|:S

I'm not going to the WFFC. Even tho it'd be fun to hang with a bunch of skydivers that I haven't seen in a while, I'm just not up for that kind of lunacy.

I'll be passing WFFC this year. My money is going to be spent towards the Canadian 80-way (need to go to about three 20-way camps before then and about an hour of wind tunnel time, to get good enough first!). It'd be interesting to see if I can get enough skills to successfully participate in the 80-way, once I start jumping in April/May/June... (a challenge, and I enjoy a challenge!)

And, of course, the Rainbow Boogie.

I will not be going to the WFFC, as far as I know that boogie is getting smaller and smaller every year,and last year it was nothing to be very praud of really, pretty small and low energy. I think Rainbow boogie will be much more fun with everything thats included those days.

yeahhhhh

OK...so the WFFC sucks i guess.. well I am newbie looking to m first boogie. Somthing awsome and fun. Different airplanes to jump and such. Any recomendations. Also I am super bummed. I promissed all my friends and Sister, that I would go to a Dave Matthews Concert again this summer. We do it every summer and its a blast. It just so happens the Dave concert is during the 28th and 29th of July!!!![:/] so I am torn. I am gunna be bummed if I cannot go and jump and support the Gay community. Any reccomendations?

Your straight but not narrow friend
-jeff- :ph34r:

That's a damn toughie. You could try going on the 28th, do the roadtrip to Montreal late on the 29th (after sleeping in very well ;) ) and still be a part of the boogie on the 30th or 31st.

Also, why not visit multiple boogies this year? There's probably boogies in your area in May or June too. I'm probably visiting a few within driving distance. Of course, this depends on your jump budget...

My money is going to be spent towards the Canadian 80-way (need to go to about three 20-way camps before then and about an hour of wind tunnel time, to get good enough first!). It'd be interesting to see if I can get enough skills to successfully participate in the 80-way, once I start jumping in April/May/June... (a challenge, and I enjoy a challenge!)

Where, when, what 20-way camps will you go to?
What is the date for the cnd. 80-way? Skydive Burnaby website has the registration download- where can I find info on requirements to register? The largest formations I have been on are 30-ways in B.C. (otter/porter Roger Ponce color concept boogies) This summer Otter/Porter boogie Skydive Vancouver is first week in August.

SMiles;)
eustress. : a positive form of stress having a beneficial effect on health, motivation, performance, and emotional well-being.

Are there any members of the Rodriguez Brothers going to the Boogie?

I want to join up B|;) Will someone adopt me?

I'm hoping to be there. Oh, boy, this could be a hell of an initiation ceremony at this boogie! If I'm there, I'll be glad to do initiations. :)

Where, when, what 20-way camps will you go to?Page 19 of Feb/March 2006 CanPara issue. I'm going to Skydive Burnaby (near Niagara Falls, not Vancouver) May 20-23.

By the way, because I need to verify that my plan to try to be a part of the 80-way is not flawed, I posted a complete reply in the appropriate thread here:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2118477

Some spreading online buzz:

Sid's Rigging Page (sponsor)
GaySports.com Page
Nouvel-Air Photo Newsletter (French)
Parajump Discussion Thread (French)
Lambda Events Listing

Also conducted a couple of magazine interviews recently (for issues that will show up in 2-3 months from now). If you know of any online blogs, news websites, magazines, event listings, and other places to submit to, let me know.

Mark.

I have been surfing the net and found the rainbowskydive link in couple of different places, I just want to say one more time at least, that you are doing a great job, I can imagine the work you have put in this so far, but as far as I see right now, you are harvesting much more already then you or anyone imagined, and the best time is to come. You might want to make sure that people can do tandems during the outgames after the boogie under the gay day name, I believe that there will be many people who will want to do tandems and most likely (Im not sure how much the dropzone can do per day) but maybe we need more days for tandems. Thank you again Mark!!

I have been surfing the net and found the rainbowskydive link in couple of different places, I just want to say one more time at least, that you are doing a great job, I can imagine the work you have put in this so far, but as far as I see right now, you are harvesting much more already then you or anyone imagined, and the best time is to come. You might want to make sure that people can do tandems during the outgames after the boogie under the gay day name, I believe that there will be many people who will want to do tandems and most likely (Im not sure how much the dropzone can do per day) but maybe we need more days for tandems. Thank you again Mark!!

Good question. Here's some useful information:

Arrival July 26/27th, Departure August 1st recommended: I do recommend all experienced skydivers to arrive July 26th/27th anyway -- and leave on August 1st, this gives all of us more time to get to know each other. The tandems will probably be focused on the 28-31st being advertised.

Nouvel-Air is one of Canada's biggest dropzones.. They hosted the Canadian Nationals, and approximately a thousand people were there (this includes spectators). They confirm they can handle several hundred of tandems in one weekend so there is no limit to the number of people I can recruit.

Tandems The weekend will probably be busy because Nouvel-Air is going to set up a booth at OutGames and a shuttle between Montreal and the dropzone. I am sure Nouvel-Air will probably continue to recruit for tandems all the way to the end of Pride Week, August 6th, beyond the end of the boogie. I'll probably be at Nouvel-Air till then anyway. Montreal Pride Week lasts till August 6th.

Attendance As it stands now, we have over 70 interested and at least 35 confirmed (with airfares purchased from UK, USA, Europe, NZ, and a number of roadtrips being planned). I'm now "recruiting" from other places such as via my online profile on www.myspace.com/rainbowskydive and I have found another 3 potential visitors from there. I'm going to take out planned advertisements in certain skydiving magazines. Also, dropzone regulars and plenty of open-minded straight guys will attend too (this isn't even included in the attendance count), so that will add to the boogie atmosphere. Including spectators (friends of friends, etc), there'll easily be 3-figures of people during the weekend if the weather is good.

Last Minute Cancellations I know that in a boogie, people cancel at the last minute. People may end up bankrupt by WFFC or some other boogie and decide not to come to ours. So I need to make sure there is a really comfortable safety margin just be safe.

Registration is optional but strongly RECOMMENDED Please register at www.rainbowskydive.com/register so that I can keep track of attendance and keep in touch with you, status updates, co-ordinating carpools and rides from airport, and related etc.

Leather load? Although I am not (yet) into leather like some guys are, I wonder if I should get someone to organize a "leather load". The world's first leather load. :o :)

But I don't want to scare away the straight tourists that are visiting :| This isn't a gays-only boogie, as we've got some open minded straights and also the dropzone regular visitors... And tourists.

I'm just a typical straight acting guy -- often a little more straight acting than even a metrosexual. On the other hand, I've been known to...

Leather load? Although I am not (yet) into leather like some guys are, I wonder if I should get someone to organize a "leather load". The world's first leather load. :o :)

Leather Load??? That would be interesting... Can I borrrow some chaps? I wear extra long but I don't know how a pair of freefly pants will look under them - LOL!

I'll have to doublecheck a few things with NouvelAir.

There are possible safety considerations with leather harnesses not designed for skydiving (i.e. accidentally pulling a PC through a floating harness, and causing a horseshoe mal),

However, chaps are probably OK for a leather load. A leather load would be a fun thing to do -- within limits, of course (there would be a no nudes policy I think). The leather outfit would have to be appropriately cleared by the safety officer at the dropzone.

I'll be setting up a calendar of events in the next few weeks/months (straight loads, mixed loads, world's biggest gay formation skydive 20-way, 2/3/4-way organizing for the novice jumpers, freefly, etc.). We have Kirsten Johnson confirmed as the load organizer for the queer bigways (queer in the good sense, of course) . We still need additional volunteers to help organize for other types of other loads such as freefly (especially if bigger than 3-way), CRW loads (2, 3 and 4-way CRW), etc.

Sometime in the next few weeks, I'll be sending an email to all those registered asking about their discipline of interest, and make sure everyone is accomodated with appropriately qualified load organizers/volunteers. :)

Okay, this thread has been quiet long enough. Time to bump it up.

We've got a logo being designed right now and going to print some T-shirts too in a few weeks. Sometime early April, I'm going to send an email to all the people who registered about what design they like the best. The proceeds of the T-shirt sales will go into paying for the event, on top of the existing sponsors (and more are going to be announced soon as well).

If you are a person that has not registered, or not planning to attend, but is still interested in the Rainbow Boogie T-shirt, please email me in the Contact Us section.

Hi there,

If there is wingsuits flyers, please raise you hand. We have one crazy guy her in quebec who wants to make some crazy jumps during the boogie so for one of them, we need four wingsuits flyers.

So don't be shy :)
-------------------------------------------------
"Life is much too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."
-- Oscar Wilde

I have to say that it is quite amazing how many times this thread has been wiewed since yesterday only, it has almos1 100, so no matter what, there must be a lot og curiosity amongst all the membersB|
what are we looking at weather vise in July and August, is it known to be raining a lot or is it known to be a sunny place and hot??