Got any tips on buying a good watermelon? This is driving me nuts!

So in the last 3 weeks i have gone through about 60 lbs of watermelon but my selection of good ones is going from good to bad to terrible. They have all been sweet, but the last one was really really "powdery" and "fluffy" in the middle, almost inedible in parts. The very first one i got was super crisp and crunchy, just the way it should be, from the white near the skin, right through to the centre.

Does anyone know why some of them are powdery, especially closer to the core? Anyway i was at the National Watermelon Organisation and it said to pick them based on the weight (they should feel heavy for their weight, but that's always a hard one - 15lbs of watermelon always feels quite weighty to me) and they also suggest to look for a yellow spot on one side, where it's been lying, ripening in the sun.

Other than that it says to buy them based on little or no defects to the skin, where it may have been bruised etc, but it gives no advice on how to avoid powdery melons.

Anyway if you got any tips, please share, i love watermelons but there is nothing quite so disappointing as cutting in to one only to take a chunk out and slice through it, feeling the lack of crunchy bite to the knife etc

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

I find paying more for the smaller ones (about the size of a volleyball) that have the really thin rinds ends up being the best solution for me. They always seem to be really sweet and fleshy. Then again if I do buy watermelon, I'm usually just buying enough for me or me and a few others, so it's better than having a lot of leftover melon anyway.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I worked in Produce for 3 years, and I have seen people knock, shake and talk to watermelons to find out if they are going to be "perfect".

The truth is? You are taking a risk in buying a watermelon, hands down. But there are ways to minimize the risk.

1.) There absolutely should be a yellow spot on one side of the watermelon. This is where the watermelon sat on the ground. Sometimes the spot is white - no good. You want it to be bright yellow.

2.) Heavy for it's weight is definitely a good sign. It means that there isn't any empty spaces inside of the watermelon. Usually the fluffy shit ends up inside of watermelons that don't feel very heavy.

3.) Have one of the produce guys cut the watermelon in half for you. They won't mind doing it, and you will get to see the inside of the watermelon before you buy it. Just try to limit it to one or two melons to cut - you don't want to piss of the produce guys B|.

The small, round volleyball size watermelons are always a great choice. I think they call them "Mini-Me" watermelons. They are seasonal, and don't come around much. They are also a bit more expensive than regular watermelons. But I have samples them many times, and they are AWESOME.

Watermelons can be THE shit, or TASTE like shit. Good luck with your quest!

thanks for the hints. Unfortunately i buy from a local grocer who gets em direct from Greece and i can't really ask him to cut em open for me as they are sold whole. He has some he cuts into halves/quarters but i always go for a whole melon as i figure i will eat more than just the quarter and halves he has out and also they might have been sat out for a day or whatever and might not be as fresh? These greek melons are about 15+ lbs each and tend to be the longer, wider, oval shaped melons.

Man i hate the fluffy stuff inside melons with a vengeance. What is the result of that? Over ripening? Not freshly picked? I figure it's a loss of the water content from the inside, heading out to the edges right?

Thanks again

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts