rasmack

So, I have to try and not get arrested...

... upon entering the US for the WFFC.

It is going to be difficult enough to demonstrate that I am not a terrorist since I won't be having hotel reservations. As we all know terrorists don't know how to book a hotel room. :)
Will I run into trouble for bringing a knife? (Think SCUBA knife) I rarely go camping anywhere without a knife, but if I will be violating some law by having it in my backpack, maybe it should stay at home...

Any typical pitfalls I should know about? Haven't been in the States for a while.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

Put your scuba and hook knives in your check in. Carry on your rig, if you can and bring the Cypres card with you. A good road map might be helpful if you're getting a car.

Don't forget to surrender your gun and drugs with Customs before you leave the airport. They like it when you do that. :)

Put your scuba and hook knives in your check in. Carry on your rig, if you can and bring the Cypres card with you. A good road map might be helpful if you're getting a car.

I was more thinking about if a random police officer on the street could decide that I was breaking the law by having a knife with me after I have entered the country. I have flown with my rig before.

Don't forget to surrender your gun and drugs with Customs before you leave the airport. They like it when you do that. :)

Hey! I need those! :D

I was more thinking about if a random police officer on the street could decide that I was breaking the law by having a knife with me after I have entered the country. I have flown with my rig before.

How long is the knife? Is it a straight blade or folding knife? Is it spring assisted or gravity assited?

Those are things to check against each of the state laws and the city laws of each of the states and cities you are in. First and foremost, check the stat laws.

If its something like a swiss pocket knife, then not too many people will most likely care, unless you are someplace you shouldn't be with it or using it criminally. If its a switch knife with an 8" blade, you might have problems. I know you said diver's knife, but that doesn't narrow it down too much. I have a couple of diving knives. None of the ones I have would be legal for someone to carry on their person in TX. Just an example.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

... First and foremost, check the stat laws.

Fair enough. How do I determine if this knife is legal in Illinois (~5 inch blade)? Sorry to be asking a stupid question, but I'd rather know these things now, than find out the hard way once I am in the US.

... I have a couple of diving knives. None of the ones I have would be legal for someone to carry on their person in TX. Just an example.

Is my backpack "on my person"?

Here in Denmark I would normally not be allowed to carry the above mentioned knife unless I was transporting it to for example go on a dive.

I personally never worry about knife carry laws. Unless you stab someone or rob the market, there's no problem. If it's packed away in your backpack nobody will bother you.

If you are paranoid, buy a small folding ppocket knife and leave the diver at home.

--------------------------
Chuck Norris doesn't do push-ups, he pushes the Earth down.