browny05

Tears in Slider x 2

When packing after the last jump of the day I noticed two ~ 40 cm tears on the left and right sides of my slider.
Does anyone know what would may cause this? Is it a packing error or possibly a material flaw? Is it a common thing?

The canopy is a Aerodyne Pilot 150 with ~ 250 jumps on it.

I bought it 2nd hand and have done about 50 jumps on it, and in that time its been great, no line twists, no hard openings, flys and flares great.

I have another slider of my Stiletto that I am not jumping at the moment thats in good condition, but is smaller, Pilot slider- 740cm x 500cm Stiletto slider 740cm x 470cm, would this be OK to use. What effect would the slightly smaller slider have on the Pilot?

Cheers for any info.
Blue ones. SB
...remember to take it easy.....and if its easy take it home..

Your post begs several questions:

1) Are you sure you're measuring in cm units? I'm a little slow with using the metric system (it's an American problem) but I think you might have meant mm.

2) Have you found tears on your slider or are these actually burns? Burns are identified by melted edges--tears have fuzzy edges. Line burns across the slider are often caused by poor packing methods--tears are far less common.

3) As for trying a different slider, are you ready to become a test pilot? If the sizes of your two sliders are as close as I think they are (again, cm or mm?), I'd personally be willing to try the substitution. When I experiment with a new slider design, I often pull high or deploy sub-terminally if it seems appropriate. But you'll have to decide if you can tolerate the additional risk of unknown performance.

That slider is bigger than most tandemcanopies!!

Show the slider to your local rigger, he would know what it is, but to me it sounds like tears. Are they close to the stitching and "frame webbing" (hey, don't know what to call it in english :P)

And while you are talking to your local rigger about the tears, ask him about using your spare slider. It's around 6% smaller so you should be alright, but as previous poster said, you are become the test pilot. Smaller sliders usually makes opening faster.

chris

Apologies measurements should be in millimetres. (mm) Pilot slider- 740mm x 500mm (29in x 19.6in)
Stiletto slider 740mm x 470mm, (29in x 18.5in)

They are definatley tears not burns. and they are both on the edge of the "frame webbing".

Waiting to hear back from Aerodyne and my rigger today, will keep you posted. Will try and upload a pic later tonight.
Cheers SB
...remember to take it easy.....and if its easy take it home..

Scott

Please call the office in the morning and speak to our rigger Patrick or if he's not available speak to Sandy, they will asssit you in all your questions and get a quick and professional response to your gear concerns.

The office number is 813 891 6300

Your also more than welcom to PM me if you like.

Blue Skies
Karl Meyer