billvon

Perris minor incident May 9 - pattern error

Update from this weekend:

This weekend we had a good case of how the system is _supposed_ to work.

We had some really funky winds towards the end of the day. On our last jump (8-way) the first jumper down set up to land to the south. When she set up the winds were cross and very slightly out of the south. There were dust devils everywhere, including to the south of the landing area.

As she turned final the winds switched to out of the north at perhaps 15kts. I was maybe #3 in the pattern and I saw the winds switch and saw her land and then slide about 20 yards. I took the last out I had to the north (the road next to the north field) and landed without incident. A few people landed near me in the same direction; the rest of the load landed out, into the wind. One other person followed the first one down, and slid a similar distance.

No injuries and no close calls, although a few jumpsuits got very dirty. We were fortunate no one tried to "chase the flags" in the landing area.

Again, I did not like landing downwind, but the only safe way to land is by following the first one down.

I couldn't disagree more.

I'm sure was speaking about this event/bigway specifically. If so he is correct and surely you agree? You can't 100 + chasing a wind sock at a time!
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!