skydiverbry

Migraines

Anybody withmigraine out there? Need some advive,Chris had a terrible one past 3 day. Finally got her to the hospital,CT scan,photosensetive nuasea the whole thing. Got 2 anti nusea drugs,Benydrl and script for Fiorecet. Than make appt. with PCP What drus or othermethods worked for y'all Greatly apperciated,hate to see my baby hurt,pain is my job Bryan
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

sorry to hear about another migraine sufferer. The photosensitivity, naussea all sound like classic migraines. I've had them since age 14, I'm 36 now. I've had the whole compliment of meds... I've tried all the triptans (imitrex, maxalt, zomig, amerg, etc...) none work for me. For years, what worked for me was periactin, taken 5 times per day. when that stopped working, what worked for a number of years more was a combination of depakote (yes, the bipolar drug!) and nortriptyline (yes, the old antidepressant!). The only prob was dry mouth and weight gain. After a few years, that stopped working too. Now, I'm having good success w/ topomax. the only real draw back to it is that it sometimes makes me forget names and words... neurologists often call it "dope-amax" for that very reason... it makes those who take it feel a little dopey and stupid at times. But, I'll take it over having debilitating migraines.

Best of luck to Chris in finding something that works - fast!

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

The cause and the symptoms. Migraines (can and usually do) cause vision disturbances (I pretty much go blind), nausea, and extreme sensitivity to light and sound. They usually only hurt on one side of your head, and the pain ranges from VERY uncomfortable to downright intolerable.

I'm not sure exactly what causes them, but it has something to do with blood vessels in the brain, I believe.

Damn! Nope I know for sure I have never had one of those. Sounds really bad. :S

Trust me, you'd know... all you want to do is find the darkest, quietest room possible, curl up on the bed and whimper...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I've had them since 7th grade. Everything everyone else has described is true. There are so many different ways to treat migraines. The best way is preventing them from ever happening. That's where the drugs Micro mentioned come in. What works for me is Tegretol. The fioricet the gave her is just a pain med. Make sure she takes it the first sign of a migraine coming on. That's the point it will help, otherwise their ineffective.

I look at fioricet, percocet, tylenol, excedrin and all the pain killers as chasing the migraine. The other drugs such as depakote, topomax, tegretol, nortriptoline, neurontin, etc. prevent the migraines from ever happening.

BTW micro, a huge side affect of depakote is hair loss.

Chris

I've had them since 7th grade. Everything everyone else has described is true. There are so many different ways to treat migraines. The best way is preventing them from ever happening. That's where the drugs Micro mentioned come in. What works for me is Tegretol. The fioricet the gave her is just a pain med. Make sure she takes it the first sign of a migraine coming on. That's the point it will help, otherwise their ineffective.

I look at fioricet, percocet, tylenol, excedrin and all the pain killers as chasing the migraine. The other drugs such as depakote, topomax, tegretol, nortriptoline, neurontin, etc. prevent the migraines from ever happening.

BTW micro, a huge side affect of depakote is hair loss.

Chris

well why the hell is it gone from he HEAD and all over my BACK???? :SB|>:( I always thought it was just gravity, hair falling down from my head and growing on my back... either way it's gross and I love having my back shaved.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

I've suffered pretty frequent migraines for the last few years now. After years of taking OTC Excedrin Migraine, I was recently prescribed Imitrex. That seems to work for me so far. I don't have any "auras" or anything to warn me that they are coming----I just usually get blind-sided by this enourmous pain and I immediatlely know what it is and take the meds.

Next step, when the pain meds quit working is the preventative meds....but I'm not there yet and really hope I don't get there.

Thought I'd share my 2 cents. :)

If both chutes fail......track for your rigger!