skymama

Fighting a speeding ticket

My daughter got a $180 speeding ticket for doing 56 in a 40. She said she didn't think she was going that fast, but she has had other driving issues so she could just be telling me that so she'll be in less trouble.

The issue is that the officer wrote that she has a silver truck on the ticket, while she really has a tan truck. Would this be grounds to get it thrown out of court?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Yeah, I know, that's why I asked her if she really was speeding. Her insurance is already $216/month. It's getting expensive on her low-paying salary. Someone else told her she could fight it, and I said I'd ask on here if that was true. I'm not advocating not paying the ticket, I'm just asking if that's true.
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

She just said she really didn't realize that she was going that fast. She had already dropped her brother off at school and she was going to her school. I had heard on the news that they were having speed traps in our county that week, but I kept forgetting to tell her! She wasn't even late, so that wasn't a factor. It was just one of those things of not paying attention. She has ADHD, which is probably a factor in her mishaps.

Another trick that has worked....

Never have your insurance card. Act all shaky and make them think you dont have insurance. It is an expensive ticket and they might just nail you for that and not speeding.

Either way, present POI at the court and it is dismissed. I have done this 3 times..

I used to get tickets all the damn time....I havent had one in 4 years! I havent slowed down either....

if traffic school is an option, she should take it. The system is hard to fight, though Fight Your Ticket has all the steps you can try.

Radar tickets are harder to beat than pacing. CHP officers can say anything they want in court, local officers might not have the same sway. But ultimately the court is a rubber stamp unless you catch them on a procedural error.

Your daughter sounds a lot like my son when he first got his license. He was always getting tickets. Heck, you'd think he'd learn by now, but he just got one two months ago again!

Don't fight the ticket, let your daughter learn from her mistakes. Maybe now she'll pay attention to her speed better, and it's better for her to learn now then later.

Good luck and welcome to my past world:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Just this past Sunday, she took the online class for traffic school because she rear-ended someone in her first experience of rush hour traffic in June. She's not allowed to take it again yet.

I know, she's a handful. She's been that way since she was 2. :S:ph34r:

On the bright side, her younger brother, Nick, is learning a lot from these experiences that she has had. I think he's going to be a great driver from learning from her mistakes. He's really tight with his money, no way is he going to do anything to increase his insurance bill!

Color of the truck wont do it.

Ask for a Jury Trial. They will try and tell you that you cant but it is your constitutional right. They will dismiss it every time. I have done it at least 8 times.

There are no jury trials in Florida for speeding tickets. They are handled by a judge or more often a hearing officer.
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

I don't think she is rolling over and taking it. If you are speeding, just admit it and pay the fine.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Ill admit I was speeding, everytime I drive I speed. But I will not pay outrageous fines that I feel are unfair and unjust for driving in a manner I feel is safe and within my and my vehicles ability. That is what I am fighting. But maybe thats because I learned to drive in Germany.

I say you fight it, not only because its your right to fight it, but you should never roll over and just take it.

That's right! It's all about lying and cheating your way out of accepting responsibility for our actions! Why? Because it's the American way, dammit! It's our right! :D;)

Ok, now on to planning retirement... let's see, who can I sue... :D;)
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

Who said anything about lying and cheating. I hired a lawyer. www.ticketclinic.com $90 and (in my case) they guaranteed no points, no school and adjudication withheld. How can they promise that? Well I suspect they have an agreement set up with the city. So that is neither lying, cheating or manipulating, that is excercising a lesser punishment available for those who chose not to roll over. So eat me.

I had a friend in medical school who fought a few tickets and won. I wish I could remember how he did it. I do remember he'd subpoena the maintenance records for the radar guns and stuff like that....funny.

Another friend of mine just fought a DUI after she refused to blow in the whatever-that-thing-is. She won too.

She prob'ly should take her lumps and try to learn from this....but it's also good to learn how to make ones way through the system....lol.

Good luck
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

I say you fight it, not only because its your right to fight it, but you should never roll over and just take it.

That's right! It's all about lying and cheating your way out of accepting responsibility for our actions! Why? Because it's the American way, dammit! It's our right! :D;)

LOL. First, I'd like to see the government accept its responsibility to use its tax/fine dollars reasonably. Responsibility goes both ways.

Well I suspect they have an agreement set up with the city.

Ummm. Ok. A law is broken. The person is caught. Pay a private company some money, and they'll make it all go away - no questions asked. Al Capone would be proud! :D;)
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

Yea pretty much. Its a right I have, and I will excercise it. Like you never have broken a law.

Let me ask you this: if were given a $1000 fine, and you could legally get it reduced to $50 by legally paying a layer $50. Would you pay the full amount because its the right thing to do? Would you "buy" out? There is no morality here, there are no values, just rules arbitrarily imposed on me. It is my right to speed, and I am being patriotic by excercising what I feel is my right. I am being extra patriotic when I pay the fines. I do it for America.

Realisiticly, I want to see America have more stringent road construction standards to support higher speed interstates, better (manadtory) driver training, and adaptive speed limits (i.e. the speed limit lowers when its pouring, it raises when its night and no one is on the road, etc).