Dangerousmind86

Pisa Sonic 190 Does ANYBODY KNOW ANYTHING?

Just purchased a nearly new, 11 jumps used, Pisa Sonic 190. It is my understanding they are of slightly elliptical shape, open a little hard and that they pack a little large due to some pretty hardcore ZP material used. I did a search and checked out gear reviews and basicly got nothing. So Lets Hear IT!

It'll be loaded 1.2/1 so any ideas flight characteristics?

Oh and 450 shipped is a good deal yes?

Come on people!!!!
ANDY

Andy

Do you know the DOM (Date of Manufature) of this canopy the Sonic has not been produced for over 8yrs if memory serves me correct. So eitherm this canopy was hardly jumped and then stored or the nearly new only 11 jumps was pure iused car sales man talk ;)

We have a number of Sonics from

150, 170 to 190. We have about 12 still in use. It is a semi-eliptical canopy. It has a hard opening characteristic which can normally be solved by using a larger/pocket slider. All of ours have sponsorship logos which would contribute to doggish behaviour. We don't like issuing them to low jumpers because they have a tendency to loose a lot of height in the turn. Sonics are good for CReW and behave well in planes and stacks. The Pilot canopies have replaced them as intermediate canopies for students progressing from Skymasters.

Rob-By
Check it out at http://www.skydive.co.zw Clicky!

I did some jumps on one long, long ago, towards the end of last century.

My recollections were that they opened hard, and dived well, but that the toggle pressure was very high, especially when airspeed was high. I recall some severe injuries when people simply never had the power to dig themselves out of a low turn and impacted acordingly.

$450 sounds steep. There are many newer and better designs that can be picked up for that price and relined that will be good for several hundred jumps. 11 jumps in ten years probably explains all there is to know.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Update!

I just bought one. I've been thinking about getting a pond rig for some time. Found one that's been on the shelf somewhere for 9 years. Last reserve packjob is 1998. It has a Vulcan harness (Vector 2 copy) and a Sonic 150 main. Wanted something that dries fast (parapack) and can deal with a lot of repacks in it's remaining 4 years of life. Whole thing for $270.

I'll probably burn the main as a ritual sacrifice.:)
t

It's the year of the Pig.

The Pilot canopies have replaced them as intermediate canopies for students progressing from Skymasters.

I would have to disagree with this statement, the Hornet was the canopy that replaced the Sonic in the PISA product line. The Pilot by far is a more all round canopy than both the Sonic or Hornet, and is a great start up canopy a light WL and an awesome canopy to fly and land at a higher WL.

Blue Skies
Karl

What exactly is the difference between the Pilot and the Hornet?

Jumped them both. The Hornet cost half as much and was much easier to pack. (better fabric) Other than that they seem identical.

IMNSHO the Pilot is just a copy of the Hornet....

Change the name, double the price.

Brilliant!

They fly differently as far as I am concerned. I have a pilot 168 and a hornet 170, I have about 100 jumps on my pilot, and 35 jumps on the hornet.

The hornet has a glide in full flight that is little less flat than the pilot.

I think the pilot flies better in deep brakes.

The hornet loses more altitude with toggle turns. It has a stronger flare.

Or I could be on crack. :ph34r:

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P