matt1215

Introducing 2 cats

I've done it. I've taken the plunge and adopted a second cat.

Any tips on introducing the 2? When I first got home, I put Shadow on the deck and let Abbie check out the apartment for a while. Then I put Shadow in the bedroom while I brushed Abbie, trimmed her claws and bathed her. Now Abbie's chilling out on the deck and Shadow's free in the apartment.

Right now they can see each other, smell each other and hear each other. They've both charged the glass a couple times. :D:D

I've never tried this for introducing two cats, but a GREAT way to calm a cat is to put some butter on his or her front legs--rub it in good. The cat will immediately start to lick it off and will be too absorbed in that to worry about much else.

It's an awesome way to relieve a cat's anxiety when moving to a new place. It might calm both down if you put butter on both of them.

Walt

I've never tried this for introducing two cats, but a GREAT way to calm a cat is to put some butter on his or her front legs--rub it in good. The cat will immediately start to lick it off and will be too absorbed in that to worry about much else.

It's an awesome way to relieve a cat's anxiety when moving to a new place. It might calm both down if you put butter on both of them.

Walt

Wait for it.

Now Walt is going to tell you that after you put the butter on them, to turn them slowly over the fire so that the butter doesn't burn. I hear he's got some great cat recipes.

Tubing, so easy a caveman can do it.

Michele the resident "Cat Whisperer" could probably write a book on the topic! Separate rooms, letting them sniff each other from under the door, swapping poop from the litter boxes, that kind of thing. As for me, maybe I'm not a the best cat mommy, but unless I'm concerned about disease, I've just put the new kitty down in the center of the room and let them all sort it out. (With some supervision, of course!) That's much more likely to work with a kitten than an adult cat though. The bigger cats (even the males) tend to be protective and tolerant of the little guys.

And it seems obvious, but try not to pay too much attention to the new one, because you don't want to other one(s) getting jealous! (And that's easier said than done!)

Walt

DIdnt someone suggest that a while ago? All i remember happeneing what they they ended up with a greasy apartment.

------
Two of the three voices in my head agree with you. It might actually be unanimous but voice three only speaks Welsh.

Make sure they both have a place to call their own. Introduce them in a community room type setting and don't force the issue. Don't allow them alone unsupervised for a week or so. You can also by a hormonal type plug-in (Feliway? or something like that) that flood the area with good cat vibes. Works up to about 600 sqyare feet from what I remember. Each will need its own litter box and eating area for a while. Swapping toys is a good idea swapping litter boxes sometimes works and sometimes lead to inapropriate elimination habits if you know what I mean. Some cats click other never do and some take quite a while.

Thanks for adopting and good luck.

Ed

Tigra said:

Separate rooms, letting them sniff each other from under the door, swapping poop from the litter boxes, that kind of thing. As for me, maybe I'm not a the best cat mommy, but unless I'm concerned about disease, I've just put the new kitty down in the center of the room and let them all sort it out. (With some supervision, of course!) That's much more likely to work with a kitten than an adult cat though. The bigger cats (even the males) tend to be protective and tolerant of the little guys.

Actually, Maura, that's my preferred method, unless I am introducing a cat with a disability, or known mental issues (hyper aggressive, a pee-er, declawed). I really like to let them work it out, and if they can't, I step in.

Introduce them in a community room type setting and don't force the issue. Don't allow them alone unsupervised for a week or so. You can also by a hormonal type plug-in (Feliway? or something like that) that flood the area with good cat vibes. Works up to about 600 sqyare feet from what I remember. Each will need its own litter box and eating area for a while. Swapping toys is a good idea swapping litter boxes sometimes works and sometimes lead to inapropriate elimination habits if you know what I mean. Some cats click other never do and some take quite a while.

Some really good advice, and some that is a No-no in my book except in certain circumstances.

Feliway is delightful, but very expensive. The two drawbacks are that it doesn't always work, and it really doesn't always work...meaning that some cats have no effect, and on occasion, some cats find it to be more of a danger signal or a territorial issue (whomever gets closest to the diffuser wins....) and can lead to a fight. I use the spray on occasion, when I need to crate or when traveling in a carrier or even on my hand when handling a feral; much more than that, I find, it is a simple waste of money. However, it's a great last resort should the need come for that.

Separate dishes always...from here on out. Start with the dishes apart, at either end of the kitchen (or other room they are fed in). Over a week or so, move the dishes closer together (but not too close). They will get the idea that there is enough food, and that there is a dish for Shadow, and a dish for Abbie. Share litter if possible, because the co-mingling of scents will allow both cats to understand that this is now shared property and not something to be possessive of.

At this point, Matt, my general suggestion would be to do what you've done, but allow them to interact with each other. Do the initial interaction in the communal room, and let them start to sort it through. They will likely spat (not always, but mostly), but unless there is blood being drawn, don't get too involved, and don't show favoritism if at all possible.

Do expect some quarreling; and do expect that it might occur for a while. They're cats, they will do everything they can to establish a heirarchy and the dominant one will emerge. The more you interfere with this, the longer the process will take. So try to not get in the middle of it (unless, as I said, there's bleeding...that's a no-no). And always make sure they respond to you as the dominant one...my cats will now separate on voice command or hand clap...because they realize I'm in charge, not them.

Thank you for adopting this girl - how blessed you, and they, are. Thank you, thank you, thank you. And pm me (as you have...but I answered it here...) with any questions. 'Course, you knew that...;)

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

That does work, most of the time. It triggers the grooming instinct, and a cat won't groom unless they feel safe. I'd be a little leary of butter, though, as the dairy can upset their belly and create more problems than it's worth. There is a substance called "Felovite", and it comes in a tube. It's a supplement and every cat I've given it to lap it up - the taste is, apparently, yummy (one of my cats doesn't even wait for it to come out of the tube...she licks the tube as I apply it to her paw).

Be aware, though, that even if they're in the middle of grooming, they can get involved in a fight almost immediately. Some indicia to watch for is a puffing of all the hair - making the cat look bigger and more fierce to the other cat. Watch for stiff-legged walking, arched backs, flattened ears...if you see this happening, oftentimes it's just display, so don't interrupt unless there is a significant whupping going on.

And one last note, don't separate them when you go to bed....they really do need to adjust to each other, and you will find that the more you isolate/separate them, the longer it will take. Again, that's not a technique I use at first, except in certain situations.

Ciels-
Michele

I've done it. I've taken the plunge and adopted a second cat.

Any tips on introducing the 2?

I got a 9 month old male about 2 years ago. I already had a 6 year old male. They did the usual hissing and slapping and fighting when they first met (no blood drawn except on me when I tried to separate a LOUD fight one day).

Like Michele said, it will take time but eventually, they will get along.

My older one is smaller and fatter but he's definitely the dominant one.

For the most part, after they got to know each other (about a month or so), they tended to just ignore each other. I think the older one was hoping that one day when he woke up from his nap, the "intruder" would be gone and the younger one just wanted to keep the peace (with the exception of his murdering ways with birds and mice, he's just a lover at heart!)

To this day, mine still "scrap" every now and then but that usually ends up with the two of them sitting in the middle of the kitchen whapping each other on the side of the head. Teko will smack 'Mere. They'll sit there. 'Mere will slap Teko. And on and on it goes until 'Mere walks into the living room and Teko walks outside. No blood drawn, no puffing up, no hissing. Just a good ol' smackdown! Rather entertaining!

It's taken a few years but they're rather friendly now.

Good luck with yours! Hopefully the "complete" adjustment period is shorter than mine was!

'Shell
'Shell

Thanks Michele. I let Shadow in a little while ago. Shadow's under the futon and Abbie's under the dining table. They're about 10 feet apart and staring at each other. Abbie seems to be adjusting quite well to the apartment.

I'll give them both free access to the apartment tonight, and put Shadow out on the deck tomorrow. Let them hiss at each other thru the glass and let Abbie explore the apartment alone.

I put one of Shadow's litter boxes away and replaced it with Abbie's. Shadow still has access to her box on the deck.

I'll have to figure out feeding areas, I haven't been consistent with where I feed Shadow b/c of ants.

BTW, here's a pic of her. :D

Abbie's a pretty girl! She and Shadow will be friends in no time, especially if they're not attacking each other right off. Great sign. BTW, if the kitties decide to fight on your bed when you're in it, just duck and get under the covers...there's little you can do other than protect your head, face and neck in that situation. LOL!!!

As for the ants issue, yep, that can be an issue (one I've battled a ton). Sprinkle some cinnamon at the edge of the doorways and windows; cinnamon will interfere with the pheremone trail the ants leave, and not be dangerous to the kitties. That has helped me a ton in the past, so you might give it a try. Really, though, try to establish a consistent feeding place for the girls...it will facilitate the whole heirarchy/dominance issue really well.

Congratulations again!

Ciels-
Michele

LOL, Abbie's already taken a liking to the bed, there will be flying fur over it. :D:D

I just fed them both a little while ago. Abbie had a half-can of food earlier, then another half can just now (she has one heck of an appetite). I fed the 2 in 2 different spots, but I'll get to feeding both in the kitchen.

Abbie was really vocal with me on the 20 minute drive home. She startled me with some really loud meowing so I turned on the radio and we both sang along. :)

We introduced 2 different kittens (the first died) to our older cat. All of them were female, I don't know if that is usually easier. The old cat needed 2 days before it started acting like a mommy to the little kitty. They are so cute when they start grooming each other, often at the same time, and it usually will only last a couple minutes before it develops into them play fighting.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Thanks for all the great advice, last night was interesting. Some hissing and growling, a few swipes, but no blood drawn. They had a bit of a scuffle over a water cup (I have 3 or 4 cups out), later over Abbie's litter box. When Abbie stopped hissing, Shadow peed in her box with Abbie 3 feet away.

I let Shadow out this morning to let Abbie explore her new surroundings undisturbed.

Thanks for all the great advice, last night was interesting. Some hissing and growling, a few swipes, but no blood drawn. They had a bit of a scuffle over a water cup (I have 3 or 4 cups out), later over Abbie's litter box. When Abbie stopped hissing, Shadow peed in her box with Abbie 3 feet away.

Nicely done...all are typical of new introductions...

Shadow is asserting that "she was there first" sort of dominance, and clearly sees herself as top cat. Abby, in allowing Shadow to pee in Abby's box, is starting to understand who runs the household. The battle over the water wasn't about water; rather, it was about who is in charge...

These squabbles will end...and they don't seem too bad in the first place. Pretty quickly there will be a balance reached, and you'll come home one day and find them both cuddled on your bed...

A note, however. After today, don't separate them. Shadow needs to be certain that her home is her home...and to put her onto the porch while the interloper gets the house is pretty threatening to that idea. Similarly, Abby needs to understand that her new home is shared with another cat, and that won't be established unless they are both in the same place at the same time.

Also, just be aware that Shadow might decide to start up an escape behavior - darting for the door, scratching at the screens, and so on. Nothing to really worry about, just be aware and do your best to not let her escape...she'll get through that soon, just be aware of the potential there.

Well done, congratulations, and hugs to the kitties and you!

Ciels-
Michele