jee

fabric difference between cells on safire 1

I am looking at buying a used safire 1. the canopy appears to be in excellent condition. however, i noticed that the 4 cells to the right all have a bit less sheen than the other five cells. not really faded or worn but just has less shine. the difference is on the top and the bottom and from the nose to the tail exactly on the seam. could this be something to be concerned about?

FYI
I e-mailed Icarus and explained that this had been talked about here and if they could give me a reply that I could post so here is Icarus's reply

The Safire-1 and the Omega are measured differently to PD canopies. As a rough guide a Safire-1 or Omega is about the same size as the next size down - eg A Safire 149 is about a 135. A Safire 119 is about a 109. Use an equation of 8%.
The Safire-2 and Omni (Omni supercedes Omega) are measured the same as
PD.

All other Icarus Canopies are measured the same as PD.

The reason for the difference is due to Precision measuring their canopies differently. Icarus have always measured the same as PD however when we originally commenced in the USA, Precision were building parachutes for us under license and were doing it using their size equations and not Icarus/PD's.

We have therefore had to wait to supercede these models to change the size equation.

Only the Safire and Omega were affected.

Blue skies
Simon

Icarus Canopies
USA: 1S671 Bender Lane, West Chicago, IL 60185, USA
Ph. (630) 562-2735, Fax (630) 231-4430
Europe: P.I. El Ramassar, c/ Vallés, s/n O8520,
Les Franqueses, Barcelona, SPAIN.
Ph. (34) 938 496 432, Fax (34) 938 497 971
www.icaruscanopies.com

well this helps in understanding the sizing of the original safire but my question has to do with texture of the material. not the size or the color. the right 4 cells including the stabilizers and the left stabilizer are of a different appearance.
i did call icarus and they said most likely they changed bolts of fabric in the middle of the production of this particular canopy. just wondering if this has been seen before.
thanks for the input talonsky.

cya

I usually try to keep my mouth shut and just "grin and bear it" when I read so many assinine posts on dz.com, but Jeez, dude, you didn't EVEN begin to address this guy's question! There was nothing hard to understand about what information was requested, yet you went in a completely different direction and off on some sort of tangent about the way canopies are measured :S

Why is it that so many people just want to make a post just to hear themselves talk (so to speak) ?

If more people would
(1) read questions carefully,
(2) answer the question only if they have knowledge of the subject, and
(3) not stray from the subject matter so as to create all this prevelant thread drift that happens in these forums, then...

Maybe this website could be more of what was intended; that is, a concise, easy to search and use, source of information about skydiving and related issues.

Of course the only way for a rigger to really address this is by inspection, but in general I wouldn't worry unnecessarily, as there are innocent reasons this can be the case. As mentioned by Icarus, they could have changed bolts, and that is indeed a likely answer. Sometimes the finish can look different if the fabric is flipped over too. The real answer is with a rigger who can look at it though.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History