Radioshack

Buying Gear

I was looking to buy some gear here on the dz.com, but am a little scared about doing so. I looked through "If you think it might be a scam" page and found that one should ask the seller's USPA number and was woundering.... is there any way to check that number? I mean couldn't the person just say his/her USPA number is 123456789?[:/]
I have a problem with that and also payment options... The person that wants to sell me his gear wants his payment through Western Union... and I hear that is a good way to get scamed... Any thought comments?!?

Thanks

My $.02 only:

It looks like you're in Arizona, plenty of local skydivers in your neighborhood, plus the Mecca of Eloy, where there is probably plenty of good quality used gear available.

Find someone locally, negotiate the payment terms (like offer a MO, or Bank Check).

That way, you're talking with someone that likely another person you know at the dropzone knows, etc.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

plus the Mecca of Eloy, where there is probably plenty of good quality used gear available.

And Square 2 is in Eloy. They not only sell used gear, they also offer a pretty solid guarantee on it. Well worth checking out what they have, especially considering that they also have access to what their parent store, Square 1, and sister store, Square 3, have in stock.

I would not buy used gear long distance without being sure that the seller is willing to refund the purchase price (not including shipping or any rigging you may have done on it) if you get it and decide that it isn't right for you (ie doesn't fit, isn't in the condition described, etc).

plus the Mecca of Eloy, where there is probably plenty of good quality used gear available.

And Square 2 is in Eloy. They not only sell used gear, they also offer a pretty solid guarantee on it. Well worth checking out what they have, especially considering that they also have access to what their parent store, Square 1, and sister store, Square 3, have in stock.

I'll also add that I would buy gear online here at DZ.com (from someone I "know" or could get a reference from), but for a first timer's first rig, I think it's vital to seek a personal touch.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I'll also add that I would buy gear online here at DZ.com (from someone I "know" or could get a reference from), but for a first timer's first rig, I think it's vital to seek a personal touch.

Exactly. When I bought my first set of gear, I was prepared, as a buyer, to work with a third party rigger to facilitate the transaction and I was surprised that the guy I bought it from was willing to send it to me for inspection, no questions asked.

I recently bought a used canopy and sold mine. By this point, I'm fairly well-traveled and know enough people within the community that the person I bought the canopy from sent it to me without hesitation to demo for a few weeks. Although we've never met, we have enough mutual friends that there really was never any concern that either of us would abuse the situation.

I sold my canopy to someone I don't know, but the rigger he used to facilitate the transaction was someone I know and trust, so I had no qualms whatsoever about sending it for inspection.

To the original poster - if you're uncomfortable about the transaction, move on. There's another one waiting. Use the resources available to you locally; even if you don't buy from one of them, they may be able to help you facilitate a transaction or vouch for the person selling the gear. Trying to do this on your own at this stage of the game may put you into troubled waters.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I was looking to buy some gear here on the dz.com,...

Here's what the Blue Sky Ranch's gear dealer (Sonic) does:
1) One party sends the gear to Sonic.
2) Sonic checks it out.
3) The other person pays.
4) When payment has been received, Sonic releases the gear.

FYI.
We are all engines of karma