freeflajankie

Horses and Equipment

Thanks for the input guys. I'm confused, is Paint a color or a breed? I highly doubt the Appaloosa, he's not that snotty. :P

All else I can tell you is he's very "square". He's stocky, square muzzle/nose, largeish round hoofs.

Eh, I'll jsut call him "Western Stockhorse" and be done with it. :)

Is a chicken omelette redundant?

Thanks for the input guys. I'm confused, is Paint a color or a breed? I highly doubt the Appaloosa, he's not that snotty. :P

All else I can tell you is he's very "square". He's stocky, square muzzle/nose, largeish round hoofs.

Eh, I'll jsut call him "Western Stockhorse" and be done with it. :)

Paints are a color... Appaloosa is a breed. What gets interesting is when you have a homozygous Paint stallion (like mine, in that picture link) and breed it to a dun... or a Palomino... makes for some striking Paint babies, that's for sure!!!!

LOL... Apps are... 'different', that's for sure!! They seem to either be a dream or a nightmare!!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Hi freeflajankie:)
I also want to add that I love the Professional’s Choice Air Ride Pad pad as well. I have an old retired eventing horse that had a sore back and this pad really seems to help him.

Good luck and have fun. I love my horses to pieces. I have had horses in my life since I was a little girl and I think they are the best thing that ever happened to me.
Fly like a girl

oh! another horse loving skydiver :D

i can remember my first saddle. it was prolly from the 80's, but it was a Crosby(best english saddle on the market). I was having a lot of problems with my horse at the time, and it was because the saddle didn't fit him right.

First and foremost, fit the saddle to your horse. Then to you. You can deal with a saddle thats a little too big for you, at least for your first one. One thats too small will be uncomfortable. The price is just what you are willing to pay.

And go with leather. I'm not a fan of synthetic stuff, tho my parents are. It just isn't the same. Plastic will never be the new leather.

I think that an australian saddle would be awesome. I ride english, so I do all of my riding(trail rides and all sometimes training for hours) in a little saddle. English saddles are just as comfortable as western saddles, so keep your options open. An austrailian saddle will teach you better balance, since there isnt' a horn and a lot of crap holding you in like a western saddle. No offense to you western people out there or anything ;)

If you REALLY want to get good, ride bareback. :D

Look on ebay(where i bought my first saddle) or find a tack dealer close to you. The yellow pages will have closest Equestrian Centers to you, and if you just show up and start asking questions I'm sure they'd be happy to help you. They might even have some for sale.

Paints are a color... Appaloosa is a breed.

We own,breed and register Appaloosas and Paints.So,um..hate to say it,but your wrong there.Paints ARE considered a breed.They can be registered with the American Paint Horse Association, and the American Indian Horse Registry.There are obviously certain paint marking qualifications to be registered,but they ARE considered a separate breed and registered as such.The APHA is actually the 2nd largest horse registry in the USA.

Just FYI.:)

As for the horse in question in the picture,it could be a mixed Paint or Appaloosa.Contrary to popular belief not all Appaloosa's have that spotted blanket across the butt.Our Appaloosa mare looks like she's plain bay up until you get real close to her.Then you see a full blanket of tiny white freckles from mane to tail,known as a "snowflake" Appaloosa.(Her sire was the same and his name reflected it: Colonel Freckles). But her foal came out a beautiful dark "Mahogany" bay with a perfect 'traditional' snow white blanket.Unfortunately,she was one of those 'wont come out of a storm' type and was struck by lightning and died last year. :(

There are actually 4 types of Appaloosa markings:
1 Blanket: A colored horse with a white area over the hips, sometimes extending onto the back and sides.
2 Leopard: A white horse with colored spots all over.
3 Varnish roan. This is like regular roan, with two exceptions: The roaning extends onto the head of the horse, and there are colored (nonroan) patches on certain parts of the head and body
4 Snowflake. This is a colored horse with white spots in random places on the body.

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

oh! another horse loving skydiver :D

i can remember my first saddle. it was prolly from the 80's, but it was a Crosby(best english saddle on the market). I was having a lot of problems with my horse at the time, and it was because the saddle didn't fit him right.

First and foremost, fit the saddle to your horse. Then to you. You can deal with a saddle thats a little too big for you, at least for your first one. One thats too small will be uncomfortable. The price is just what you are willing to pay.

And go with leather. I'm not a fan of synthetic stuff, tho my parents are. It just isn't the same. Plastic will never be the new leather.

I think that an australian saddle would be awesome. I ride english, so I do all of my riding(trail rides and all sometimes training for hours) in a little saddle. English saddles are just as comfortable as western saddles, so keep your options open. An austrailian saddle will teach you better balance, since there isnt' a horn and a lot of crap holding you in like a western saddle. No offense to you western people out there or anything ;)

If you REALLY want to get good, ride bareback. :D

Look on ebay(where i bought my first saddle) or find a tack dealer close to you. The yellow pages will have closest Equestrian Centers to you, and if you just show up and start asking questions I'm sure they'd be happy to help you. They might even have some for sale.

I agree. I have been ridding english my hole life and I just can't get comfortable in a western saddle. I'm not used to having my legs in that position and I don't like so much "stuff" between me and my horse. When ever I'm not training or showing I usually ride bareback as well. I feel even more comfortable on the trail with out a saddle than with one. I do recommnd using a bareback pad for longer rides to help your horses back(and your butt to, depending on the size of his withers:P) I like to use my Air ride pad under my fleece bareback pad. It's so comfy:)
I don't think one type of saddle or style of ridding is better than another. It's a personal choice and everybody should do what is best and most comfortable for them:)
Fly like a girl

"As long as they have a good shelter, where they can get out of the weather."

Its like the old saying goes...you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Some horses don't know when to come in out of the rain, sleet, ect. Dumb ass horse stands under a tree when there is a bad thunderstorm and the tree gets zapped along with the horse. I have always kept my horses stalled at night. I guess for me it gives me piece of mind that I know they are safely "tucked" in for the night and not crossing property lines, eating my garden, raising hell over at the neighbors or playing in traffic, or being stalked by one of the wild animals that is out in the woods.

Bobbi

That's a true story! I have no idea why, horses are like that. I've always kept my horses stalled for the night for the same reasons.

Chuck

Looks like a Paint QH to me... I'm not seeing any of the "snowflake" or "blanket" patterns that normally signify an Apaloosa...

Paints come in all sorts of colors and patterns... [url "http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/gallery/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=Personal_Galleries/mnealtx/Horses&image=buddiesbest.jpg&img=&tt="]clicky[url]

I'd have to agree, he looks like a paint. Some signs to look for in an appaloosa are; striated hooves, mottled skin and white around the eyes (like a human).

Chuck

Yes, you have the APHA, but you can still register a paint QH as a QH... so I see it more as a color than a breed - tomato, tomahto, maybe?

eh..it all ends up being about markings and bloodlines by then anyway.I was just pointing out that it *is* considered a breed and not just a color.So yeah,opinions vary.*shrug*:)

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

There's a lot of good stuff here. I've been around horses most of my life. Seeing as how I'm now an old fart, that is a lot of years. I'd like to say I'm some kind of expert, but that's far from the case. I started watching the horse trainers on RFDTV and I'm learning a lot. I wish I could have learned that stuff years ago. So, I'll interject a few things here, that I think are right, but may very well be wrong.

Here in Montana, most people ride western, so I'm partial to western tack. I've seen the new Australian saddles and the look good. They seem to have some swells in front that might keep you from flying out of the saddle when you have a horse acting up.

I used to rodeo, and have been on a lot of bareback broncs. One bad thing about a roping saddle is that there isn't much to hold you in when a horse starts bucking. Most people, I know (who do a lot of riding in the mountains) prefer a western saddle with some swells in front and a higher cantle in back.

As several people mentioned, the saddle has to fit the horses back. Some horses have high withers, some do not. A mule has almost no withers at all. At any rate the tree of your saddle needs to fit your animals back if you want to avoid sores.

We've always used horse hair pads with a saddle blaket over that. There's no doubt better pads out there, but they may cost a lot more money, and I question if they work that much better.

I've started shoeing my own horses. Man, what a work out. I've come to the conclusion that it's really worth it to hire someone else to do it. It's kind of satisfying to do your own, but I'm not a spring chicken any more.

An old rodeo buddy of mine is now 63 years old, and he's still shoeing horses and mules. I guess that's what keeps him young. He's a tough old bird, and has forgot more about horses than I'll ever know.

I now have two horses and a colt. I hope to end up with a small pack string of about four head. When I retire in a few years I hope to spend most every fall hunting in various Wilderness areas in the western part of the state. I grew up doing that. I figure that when I get too old to hike or pack out meat (on my back), I'll use my horses.

I have a friend who uses Lamas for pack animals. He's always arguing about what good pack animals they are and how much better they are than horses. Then I ask him exactly how many Lamas does it takes to pack out an elk. I still don't know how many, but I understand it takes a small herd of them to get the job done.

Then I had to compare the personality of a horse to a Lama. To me a horse is like a good friend who trusts in you. Kind of like a big dog. A Lama to me, seems like a big guinea pig. So, I just don't see how a Lama can compare to a good horse or mule.....Steve1