Nico1978

getting a first rig...

Hey skydivers!

I bet quite a few ppl already asked this kind of question, and I am therefore very sorry to do it too, but I need your help!

Here's it:

I did AFF last year and were able to do about 60 jumps since then. Now it is about time to get my first own gear - unfortunately I have this feeling I get cheated on anytime I wanna buy a rig! I did check out a couple, but anytime I showed that rig to another person than the owner, ppl told me that the rig was shitty and the price way too much. So right now I am pretty careful about buying a rig or not.
Anyways, this is what was offered me now:

Container: JAVELIN dom: 1992 (I know it is old, bit it is in really good shape since it was not jumped that often - had it just checked, too)
Main: Sabre1 150sqft. dom: 2000 (I was told about 400 jumps)
Reserve: MicroRaven 150sqft. dom: 92
AAD: Cypres 2 Expert dom: 2005

The current owner offered the equipment to me for 2200 Euros ( equals approx. 2900 US-$). Now my question: DFo you think this is an acceptable price for that equipment? For some reason this sounds a little too much to me (although it includes a CYPRES2)! Dunno whether I am right or not - what do you guys think about it??? What would you pay for that? I'd be sooo happy for some response - I really want to get a rig (btw I can't afford a new one right now) cause I am just addicted as u to that wonderful sport!
Thank you so much in advance!

Always blue skies and safe landings,

Nico :)
p.s. please excuse my bad english - I am from germany!:$

2200 euro sounds about right, yes. Maybe 2000 is better.

But is the rig right for you? For a 150 at 60 jumps you shouldn't weigh more than 65kg. What have you jumped before?
A sabre 150 might open hard, have you jumped this particular canopy. Does the harness fit you.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Hey dragon2,

thx for your reply at first!
Well, imo it does fit pretty good - as far as I can tell (haven't had the chance to jump it yet). And, errrr, I do weigh 73kg - but did jump a 150sqft. sabre1 for the last 10 times. I heard about the rough openings, but I was also told about the quality of that canopy (maybe I am wrong???)

Thx for answers - it does help a lot! :)

73 kg gives you a wl of slightly over 1.2 which wouldn't be allowed in The Netherlands, also a 150 wouldn't be allowed <100 jumps anyway. That said, it is not totally unreasonable if your instructors agree, just be careful with it.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

1992 Javelin - US$400
Sabre 150 - US$400-500 (Are the lines original? If so you'll probably want to reline it soon; US$200ish to have that done)
MR150 - US$300-400 (Do NOT load this over 1.0 body weight - so if you weigh more than 150 pounds, it's not a good choice. They weren't designed to handle and don't land well at wingloadings higher than 1.0.)
Cypres2 - US$1000

I wouldn't pay more than US$2300 for that rig.

i just purchased my first rig as well, jav ody J4 DOM 7/04, with brand new pd 176, cypress with 2 yrs left on it, the harness was completely replaced by sunpath to my exact measurements($400 include in price) and and the system itself has every option possible, and all foam was replaced and the main is a sabre 210 ---- $3400 us dollar for all
cheers
blue skies!!!
billy:)

hope this helps

Well, I figure that gives you an exit weight similar to mine - around 80 - 84KG with your rig. That means you have a wing loading of around 1.18... call it 1.2 even.

Personally, I wouldn't be jumping that high a wing loading this early in my career... I won't be there until at least 100 jumps, but I guess it's a personal thing.