udder

Learning to Sew

Howdy

Figured this is the best place to ask cause all the riggers hang out here. Where do I go to learn how to sew? Who has courses? Specifically I'm interested in clothing, not rigging.

To the Mods : Please don't move me to Bonfire....Pleeeezzzeeee:)
"In one way or the other, I'm a bad brother. Word to the motherf**ker." Eazy-E

Pedder just look in to any of the fabric stores near you, or try the yeloow pages. there are a few near me so there's bound to be a heap near you too.
Glad you and your girl had a good weekend :)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Howdy

Figured this is the best place to ask cause all the riggers hang out here. Where do I go to learn how to sew? Who has courses? Specifically I'm interested in clothing, not rigging.

To the Mods : Please don't move me to Bonfire....Pleeeezzzeeee:)

Why do you want to learn how to sew?
Jump, Land, Pack, Repeat...

Howdy Squeak

She had a great time. It was hurting me staying on the ground, but Don made it worthwhile:D And Cookie's Multinova plan...

On the topic of sewing, I saw lots of shops but nothing on learning how to sew. Might drop into a sewing shop.

And to another poster, I want to learn how to sew to mess around with making pants. Namely tie dye and ones with fur. That way I can put dog meat rabbit skins to good use. Playing Golf with the bunnies can only get you so far. Until you have to turn them into pants. Also to sew alternating squares of brightly coloured towel fabric, and cool teenage ninja turtle curtain fabric. I realise this is not normal.

edited for my poor speeeeling.

I don't sew much stuff from scratch (not enough patience for the finish work), but I repair and remake a lot. I'm mostly self-taught. My mother taught me how to sew on buttons and stuff like that, but she really didn't care for it.

Learn how to use the sewing machine (many of them come with instruction videos), and then just start taking apart clothes to see how they're made, and putting them back together. If you have pants that don't fit right (the bane of my existence), make them fit. Make the shirt cuffs just the right length. Change the collar to be exactly what you want.

By the time you've torn apart enough seams and sewn them back together slightly differently, you'll have seen a lot of good (and some not-so-good) examples, and things will begin to make sense. Once things make sense, and you have a feel for what's right and what isn't, then you can go get some patterns and just make them, and know where you can insert multiple fabrics instead of just one, or different weights/textures/drapes etc.

And remember if you screw up, well, you learned something. I learn plenty :)
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Exactly what I want to do. Add bit to existing pants. Until I can get proficient enough to sew my alternating squares of towel fabric pants. Which is my ultimate goal;)

I don't do instructions well, but I learn from examples. So if that works for you, I can assure you that deconstructing clothing and seeing how it's made, where the seams are doubled, where they look different (probably because it's a stretchier stitch, or a much thinner fabric), etc.

Also, if you buy a sewing machine and you want to work on jeans, get one that will stand up to that. They're NOT all made equal. I don't know what's available in Australia, but I have a White Jeans Machine (picture) and it only bogs down on the very thickest of jeans seams.

I used to have a Necchi, and it wasn't much good. And have fun, and remember that just about anything can be turned into rags, or donated to the second-hand store.

Edit to add: that whole process of looking at things carefully to see how they're made, and figuring it out, works for skydiving gear, too. You don't HAVE to take it apart to tell how things are made. But you learn an incredible amount about your gear by looking at it, and figuring out why it's made the way it is.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)