bjornufknu

AFF mod for Zerox student rig

Anyone here using Zerox student rigs with AFF modification?
Could you please post a picture of how the mod is made, or describe it for me?

We are in the process of doing the AFF mod on the Zerox rigs at our dz, but are sort of lost because of the odd main ripcord housing placement...
d.d.s.

Start by scrapping those antiquated main ripcords.
Evil laughter!!!!

Seriously, main ripcords fell out of fashion a long time ago.
For example, the first rigging job that I did in 2001 was to convert all the student rigs at Perris Valley Skydiving School to double-handle BOCs.

Unfortunately, we jump at our citys airport, and we can not convert to throwout. The reason is because we cant find a good way for the students to do dummy-pulls.
We had plans of iserting crepe paper in the boc, while jadding the students, so the student pulls the crepe paper and thus creating a visual check for the instructor that the student actually has done the simulated throwout maneuver in a correct way.

We are not allowed, by the airport, to throw anything that falls to the ground, thus making the crepe paper idea useless...

So, we are keeping the BOC ripcord (yes, we have BOC ripcord). But the routing of the housing (it is routed from the boc - under the container - inserting the ripcord in the loop from the left side of the container when looking down at the rig), makes it difficult for the secondary release to be pulled with a conventional secondary release setup, because of the angle of the pull against the housing.

Anyone got any ideas for us? Please help!
d.d.s.

May I suggest an alternative to throwing crepe paper?

A dummy pilot chute still allows students to do practice pulls, but eliminates littering.

A couple of years ago, I sewed up a bunch of dummy pilot chutes. They are made of orange Cordura, stuffed with (camping mattress foam). The usual BOC handle is sewn to one end, while a (60 cm) piece of bungee cord is sewn to the other (inboard) end.
Dummy pilt chutes have the same external dimensions as neatly-folded throw-out pilot chutes.
The bungee cord is secured to a rubber band (on the right horizontal strap) to provide a weak link in case the dummy pilot chute entangles with lines. In practice, students land with the dummy pilot chute dangling behind them 99 per cent of the time. We might have lost one dummy pilot chute last year, but - frankly - my biggest problem is our sister schools (in Alberta and Ontario) stealing dummy pilot chutes faster than I can sew new ones.
Hee!
Hee!
I have to sew up a new batch of dummy pilot chutes next week, so remind me to post dimensions on this forum.
The only reason I am not offering to sell you dummy pilot chutes is that I am too busy to sew them for other schools.