voltage

non-native english speakers

hello people,

how many non-native english speakers are around here? how do you handle skydiving terms in your mother tongue?

That thing is a bit special for me because I started my training with an english-language USPA course and finished it in germany with mostly german terms.

My instructors had some funny looks when I started yelling "PROP Up Down Out ..." instead of the german terms they tought me. So the former drills worked well :-)

But serious, I am just looking around for buying gear and find it quite difficult to find fitting terms in german that I am comfortable with speaking. how do you say "wingsuit" in german?

Also, what does it mean when someone adresses you with hun or honey .... in germany you see mostly couples who are married for much too long adress each other like that.

Andi

I wouldn't worry about a Wingsuit right now, wait till you have 200+ jumps and worry about it then.

There is a German fourm on this site if you want to post there you will find a lot of people to talk with. :)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I don't worry about flying wingsuit. I know that I need more experience to do it.

But this doesn't help me to stop talking and anticipating about it. I just love the idea of it.

Guess where one can find me next summer... probably not much more than 13000 feet away from an airplane that can take skydivers up B|

EDIT to add: I know about the german forum, thanks for the advice. will go there and introduce myself, too.

Oftentimes I won't know an appropriate term in Russian for things like grommets, or "stowing the lines." I just deal with it.:)

Same here... :)), and simply use English terms -- I know people understand me. However, I did some translations from English to Russian (articles from Parachutist, etc.), and that definitely helped with the terminology... :)
--------------
We were not born to fly. And all we can do is to try not to fall...

In French we use lots of english words, and usually in a wrong manner...:|

...although it may be argued that the French, of all people, would be the ones most likely to use them in the right manner (the 300 years following the invasion of 1066 had a bit of influence on the language after all)...;)

Ok, how do you say "stowing the lines" in Russian?;)

Hmm... How about "çà÷åêîâêà ñòðîï"? :P And, grommets in Russian are "ëþâåðñû"... It's freaking funny posting in two languages mixed up in the same msg... :D
--------------
We were not born to fly. And all we can do is to try not to fall...