Twoply

Compass Help

I purchased a $10 field directional compass recently that is liquid filled and has the thumb holder, magnifying glass and wire.. I took out the vcr tape "Never Get Lost" from the library and started the self teaching thing. I observed that my compass varies greatly from time to time as to where magnetic north is. I've made sure to hold it level to allow free movement of the needle, to make sure no metal comes in close proximity (like a watch band or so), and to stand still. Now I'm here to practice this for if/when I need it. This compass is telling me north is this way but then after giggling it around a bit, it tells me it's 20 degrees that way. Do you think this a user problem or is it a compass quality issue?
If it's me I can take the help. I just want to learn

I teach land nav in SWAT school and have extensive military training in land nav. Every class a few guys show up with cheap "Walmart" type compasses and they suck. Do your self a favor and get a military lensatic compass or a Silva compass, either one will get the job done. There is a lot of good info in FM21-26 if you really want to get into map reading in addition to using a compass.
Kevin

Muff Brother #4041
Team Dirty Sanchez #467

Yeah, I agree with SWATcop that cheapo compasses are crap... Not sure which one you've got, but $10 price doesn't give a lot of confidence... Long time ago (like in early 80's) I used to have a Swedish-made compass -- it really was a piece of art, and the best thing I've ever had!

However, depending on where exactly you are practicing, it may well be an environment. Look for some electric machinery, powerlines, large masses of metal, etc. If you are in an open field, it should be pretty consistent, though...
--------------
We were not born to fly. And all we can do is to try not to fall...

If you are in an open field, it should be pretty consistent, though...

Unless there's Iron Ore in the ground we have some places here in Oz that really screw with compasses:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?