Honeybee

Is a clipper 195 too big for a 5'4, 110 lbs person?

im around 125lbs. 5'7". Going through AFF i started with a 190. Couldnt get enough momentum(sp?) to get much of a flare out of the canopy for a good standup landing. So they put me in a 170. Worked out great. I wasnt standing them up much more, but it was softer on the heals. I was packing on weights to keep up with the instructors as well. 12lbs..... That put me at 164lbs. out the door.

Thats my experience.

I suppose the best thing to do is ask your instructor(s) and get to know the rigger where your jumping. They will always point you in the best direction.

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

I'm a beginner and know my parachute should be a little larger, but is that too big for a first rig? That's a .692 ratio.

How many jumps do you have, and why are you already looking for gear?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

I'm a beginner and know my parachute should be a little larger, but is that too big for a first rig? That's a .692 ratio.

The dropzone people who "watch" you land, will be able to give you better advice -- go ask your buddies there.

Ask yourself: Wouldn't it save a little money to rent parachutes and try them out, to your A or B license (about 25 or 50 jumps), and then settle on a stable size that every credible person at your dropzone agrees is just right for you? Different-brand/age parachutes (even of same size) land very differently, so renting a few different ones will allow you get a better feel about how they fly too... You may decide buying higher end parachute (of a suitable large size) makes flying a lot more fun, especially if you become bored of a massive oversized model. Some new people make the mistake of buying too early and end up spending more to replace the gear less than 100 jumps later... Or they discover "FeatherLander 210" is a lot more fun than the "Old ACME 210", and wish they waited.

(Obviously, make sure that everything is doublechecked by your instructor :)

That's a perfect wing loading for accuracy under an F111 canopy. I like my 245s better at .7 pounds/square foot than .8 (me and my beer belly load my favorite parachute somewhat beyond 1.8). If the winds are high enough that you end up landing backwards they're probably gusty which means you shouldn't be jumping anyways.

Should also be optimal for student jumps.

That said if you're still under the canopy after graduating from your student program you'll have to pay more attention to your spot than you would at higher wing loadings and will have less fun under canopy.

Most people would probably not want to buy a first canopy at that wing loading. OTOH when I learned to jump rentals were $25 and I could have thrown my first rig out after 68 jumps and come out ahead financially. Since AFF students had first priority and the DZ didn't have many rigs, buying at jump 13 also meant that I got to jump more than once a day.

Your situation will vary.