kelel01

Camera/memory card help

Ok, so I'm a big dummy who's never owned a digital camera before, and I have some questions.

I just bought an Olympus FE-170, and I need to buy a memory card to go with it. Best Buy doesn't have any, so I'm kind of on my own and looking on Amazon.com.

Reading the reviews, it seems like the 1 GB card holds the same number of pics as the 512MB. That doesn't make sense to me. Can anyone explain?

It all depends on the camera settings in regard to the resolution of the pics, etc. If you are taking low quality pics you can fit a lot more on the card, high resolution pics a lot less.

It's possible that in comparing the two they are referring to different quality resolutions when saying how many pics the camera can hold.

On my camera, set to take pics of mid to high quality I can fit upwards of 300 or so pics on my 512mb card. I don't know what exactly you'll be using the camera for, but I typically don't ever need to hold more than 300 pics at a time, and the middle of the line quality still results in printable photos.
Killing threads since 2004.

I guess that is precisely the time that you would want to be able to hold more than 300 pics!

I've never heard of the "XD Media" card that Olympus sells, but I guess it is just their brand of memory card. I'm sure the 1g card would be plenty. Possibly even the 512mb, but seems like you're better safe than sorry.

Heck, if the place you get it from has a good return policy, you could buy two and leave the second one unopened. If you need it you have it, if not you can return it.
Killing threads since 2004.

Also...I don't know about where you're going, but here in the states if I find that both of my memory cards are full...If I have my lap top I just transfer to the hard drive, in not, I just run to a Kinko's and download them onto a disk.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'm going to Thailand for 3 weeks. I'm thinking that if I keep them mid-quality, the 1 GB card will be enough. But it would SUCK to run out of room over there.

I would opt for multiple smaller capacity cards when traveling. That way, if your camera is lost, stolen or damaged, you do not lose all your pictures with it. Yeah, it would suck losing the camera, but the pictures will be more valuable to you in the future. If you use multiple cards, only one is lost with the camera, should something bad happen.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

Ok Kele!

Lets think about it on girls terms.... would a a 32B bra hold as much original material as a 36D bra ? Not under normal circumstances, but you could certainly squeeze the additional material with the right "compression techniques", but the quality of the original material will suffer.

A handy translation table for your camera:

32A: 128MB
34B: 254MB
34D: 512MB
36B: 1GB
36DD: 2GB
38+: Not usable.

Hope it helps!
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

XD Media is the format that olympus and i think Fuji use.
Bigger cards = more pictures at the same resolution. Personally i would get at least two 1Gb cards, if you get the 2Gb card thats a bit like putting all your eggs in one basket. Also, you should (even in Thailand, especially bangkok) be able to go to a photo place and download the pics from one of your cards onto a disc without too much trouble, so it might be worth taking your cable with you.

Have a good time!
Never try to eat more than you can lift