misskriss

Orphans from Russia

So last night about 10:05pm a group of about 6 Russian children arrived at Orlando International. They are going to be spending 4 weeks with host families in the hopes of being adopted. We were there to greet them not because we are hosting but because my husband (JRAF-despite stirring up trouble on dz.com and being a dirty low-puller actually has a very soft heart) was serving as a translator between the orphans who spoke no English and the host families who spoke no Russian. THe children were aged between about 4 and 12 and I can tell you that I have never been so touched in my life. A couple greeted the little 4 year old boy with balloons and he was amazed. The way he looked at those balloons with such wonder is something I'll never forget. Another thing I'll never forget is seeing my husband speak to these children. They were so scared and nervous. He was kneeling by a little girl of about 10 or so. She was small and she was so shy and nervous. He spoke to her in Russian and told her it was okay and askedher if she wanted the top bunk or the bottom bunk at the family's home. He told her about their dog and before you knew it she was smiling. It made me love him more than I already do if that is possible.

It made me think about all the children who weren't able to come over and it broke my heart. Hopefully, when we are able to do so we will be a host family. We had been thinking about when to have another baby of our own but after seeing these children I think it would be so much better to adopt. Not that I won't ever have another one but it just completely opened my heart to adoption. There are so many children all over the world waiting for homes.

We took our daughter to the airport with us because we thought it would be a good experience for her and she just cried in the car all the way home. (not to mention the wet eyes of a certain troublemaker) I think she realizes how lucky she is to have parents who love her and a home and suddenly
all of that stuff she wanted for Christmas doesn't seem to be that important anymore.

I know there are some adoptive parents on dz.com and I think it's amazing what you do. If anyone has adopted from Russia and could pm me or post the organization you used or tell me about your experience it would be great. The organization that brought these children over was called New Horizons but I would like to know other groups as well. Thanks.:)

I don't want to drag this into Speakers Corner, I applaud your caring nature if your willing to take on a child like this but I often wonder why people adopt foreign children when there are plenty of unloved or orphaned children in your own country who would appreciate a second chance.

My godmother and her husband adopted from Russia. After three "failed" attempts at having a girl (they have three wonderful sons) the decided not to try for a forth but to adopt. Not sure of the program that they used (they live in Michigan), but they went through some rough times with Jenna and six or seven years later she is thriving (she was 6 when they adopted her). Jenna has definitely brought a lot of joy into our whole family's lives.

There aren't as many Russian families willing to adopt so I think children born in the US already have a leg up if you will. I only hear this from talking with others so I could be wrong but I don't think so considering the amount of orphanages in Russia. Honestly though, I would adopt from anywhere. A child in need is a child in need no matter where they are from.