skyblu3

Miniforce

There was a thread about the Smart reserve, asking for comments since it's been out for a few years and tried and tested.

Well I was wandering the same thing about the minforce 3 ring system. Any pros-cons?? Any problems? Has anyone had cutaways with while jumping an Icon container and what was it like?

I have sixteen cutaways on the mini force system doing back to back cutaways with normal rings verses the miniforce and they are noticably lighter and easier to cut away. i am a gym going 210 pound guy tho so i think this would really be beneficial to someone who doesnt want a harder cutaway. not really a solution to any problem but i would rather have it than not.

but any system can be hard to cutaway if the cutaway cables are not cleaned regularly and properly maintained.

... but any system can be hard to cutaway if the cutaway cables are not cleaned regularly and properly maintained.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This was the logic behind a Service Bulletin issued by Aerodyne.
It seems that a South African customer - who normally landed on the beach (with plenty of sand and salt water spray) - complained about a hard cutaway.
When Aerodyne's Production Manager came up to inspect the faulty equipment, he asked "What kind of a slob would let his gear get so filthy?"
This hurt the DZO's feelings, and resulted in a lengthy political game.
Hee!
Hee!

Bill Booth (patent-holder on 3-Ring system) was standing beside me when Aerodyne introduced their mini-force system at a PIA Symposium. Bill's comment was: "They could have achieved the same result by adjusting the length of the white loop."

My suspicion is that Aerodyne needed a more efficient release system for their military freefall rigs (read 500 pound bundle) and were reluctant to go for a 4-Ring system, so invented the mini-force system instead ????

Actually, this was invented at Aerodyne before I was asked on board as CEO here. However perhaps I can throw some light on the topic.

The basic concept is that (and most people agree) that the leverage effect of larger 3 rings vs smaller (mini) 3 rings is less. Not only that the tolerances in manufacturing are less as well.

However, consumers are not really interested in buying a nice tiny small new H/C and putting gigantic rings on the rig in an order to reduce cutaway forces....there was a period around the time the miniforce was developed where high cutaway forces were being found on most H/C's in the industry and they seem to have gone away of late. Perhaps it was that everyone has moved to hard inserted housings in the cutaway channel. Perhaps it is that there are less reported (for what ever reason) reports of violent spinning malfunctions. Perhaps this is addressed in the latest canopy designs. I know for sure that it was on our list of criteria in developing the Mamba.

The idea behind the miniforce is to have the same leverage effect of a large 3 ring (middle ring) but on a small (mini) 3 ring system. The length created by the miniforce design adds to the leverage effect, and thus reduces the forces needed to cut away.

In the support section of the Aerodyne website, under the drop down menu "articles" there is some documentation that may offer you more reading material if you are interested.

Kind regards

Bushman