DougH

Altitrack users: incorrect minimum speeds

I was wondering if any one has experienced a certain problem with their Altitrack.

For 78 jumps it has been rock solid, and I love the hell out of the thing.

For the past four jumps a small glitch has appeared. When you check out the log entry for the past jump it shows an unattainable minimum speed. Sub 100, and way way slower than my track.

My only guess is that it is recording the snivel as part of my freefall. What doesn't make sense to me is why it would do that four times in a row. The previous 78 jumps were done on the same canopy, same style opening, and same packing technique.

Any ideas? I am going to try and send L&B an email to see what they think!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

A couple of questions, prior to having a suggestion:

- What setting is the AltiTrack on in regards to "dive type"?? (Find this in the setup, can be for example 0 (standard), STU (student), SLO (slow))

- Do you use it to log free fall only, or free fall and canopy flight??

- When playing back the jump, you will be able to see the altitude of your min/max speeds. At what part of the jump does this occur (start/middle/at opening)??

Any questions, feel free to PM me :)

It's all right to have butterflies in your stomach. Just get them to fly in formation.

My altitrack has shown rather some rather slow freefall speeds when I've had it in standard dive type mode, canopy + freefall measuring and I've been on my belly. It has been in the middle of the jump when I've had my hands on my chest. I've been expecting strange readings in those cases so it has never bothered me.

Mine is set to TAS.

I switched mine to STU because it was not recording hop and pops. It worked fine up and down as if I rode the plane up and rode the plane down in it's normal factory setting. I lost 3 hop and pops as a result and had to change the jump counter to reflect my total number of jumps.

I record the entire jump from exit to landing, I've been wanting to see what my speeds are with different maneuvers under canopy, what heights I begin them, what heights I come out of them, loss of AGL in toggle spirals w/ breaks stowed and unstowed -vs- front riser spirals 180,270,360's lower with the canopy I fly.

What I've noticed is my slowest freefall speeds come at the 15 second mark.

I still do not know if setting it to STU will efect whether it records hop and pops since I have not done any since changing it.