rayf

Eagles Attack Paraglider

Never heard of anyone being attacked before, but we do have red tail falcons flying around some days at Perris. Mostly they're just checking out the posers, "You've got to be kidding, these creatures are trying to FLY ?".

There is a video at skydivingmovies.com of a falcon latching onto Norman Kent's pilot chute over the San Juan Islands in washington state.

I suppose factors like a nest full of eggs or young hatchlings could make a big bird dangerously testy and protective.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

Our DZ at Mt Vernon WA is just a few hundred yards from the Skagit River. Its not uncommon to see Bald Eagles under canopy. Sometimes they will just fly formation with you and I have seen one chase a tandem pilot chute last summer...

I wish we could be jumping right now but the DZ is closed for the winter. Our grass strip is a tad soggy till April... BUT right now we have PLENTY of Eagles up there

http://www.skagiteagle.org/bef/bef-index.htm

I've never had the Eagles fly with me but I have had Red Tailed Hawks in the air with me. It was quite comical one time. I'm flying along at around 2000 ft and this hawk comes by and turns his head toward me and then looks forward again and then he almost breaks his neck doing a double take as if I caught him by surprise. It was as if he was looking at me and thinking what in the hell are you doing up here.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

I was jumping at Monroe years back and spied a huge butt ugly buzzard that must have had a wing-span of damn near 10 feet right after I deployed my canopy. I front-risered down to near it, maybe getting within 50 feet of it, it saw me, and veered off the other way.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Is this saying something about your canopy skills???

I do a lot of CRW, but I didn't want to touch the ugly fucker... just to get a good look at it. Any closer, and I'd be cleaning buzzard vomit off of me. B|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I think someone got attacked right after or during landing a while ago in Nor Cal, sunk it's claws into the back of his neck below his helmet. We'd often see it swoop us right after landing. I think there were some laws preventing it from being shot, but I haven't seen it in a while.