JENNR8R

Medical Insurance Claim

I’m the executor for my mother’s estate. Recently a doctor’s office submitted a medical claim for my mother to Medicaid. Medicaid paid their portion of the invoice. The doctor then submitted the balance to her secondary insurance carrier. The claim was denied because it was past the 180 day filing period allowed… They would have had to submit it five months ago for the secondary insurance carrier to consider it.

Does anyone know if the estate is required to pay this invoice? It would have been paid in full if it were filed in a timely manner by the doctor’s office.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

I doubt that you wouldbe required to pay for it. Talk to the secondary insurance carrier about their rules on timely filing, but I would imagine that the onus is on the doctor to file in a timely manner and that violating those rules would make it so that the doc can't bill you for the unpaid amount.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Talk to the secondary insurance carrier about their rules on timely filing...

What would I ask the insurance company? They have already considered the claim and denied it on the grounds of the late filing.

ones? -- Monday.

Ask them if the provder is allowed to bill you if they don't meet the timely filing.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I *think* you can refuse to pay it for the exact same reasons. I've heard about the 6 month rule before when I received a bill related to a surgery I had 18 months earlier. When I tried to pass it on to the insurance company, that's what they told me. I passed that information on to the party that sent me the bill and never heard another word about it. And it never hit my credit, either.

If they can prove they billed on time and simply weren't paid, you should be able to pass it back to the insurance company for payment.

A lot of these places go ahead and send the bills out knowing they are past the "timely filing" requirement but figuring that some people and insurance companies will pay instead of questioning it.

Ask them if the provider is allowed to bill you if they don't meet the timely filing.

Oh... I assumed that the insurance company position is that they are since the explanation of benefits said the balance is "Patient Responsibility."
ones? -- Monday.

Ask them if the provider is allowed to bill you if they don't meet the timely filing.

Oh... I assumed that the insurance company position is that they are since the explanation of benefits said the balance is "Patient Responsibility."

It may be ... but it's worth checking the rules before you pay it.

Unless a debtor has filed an official claim (in writing with the probate court) within one year of your mom's death, the estate is not required to pay it. don't know if that helps.

Hmmm... The probateable estate has already been settled. There are non-probateable funds available, but I wonder if I told the doctor's office about the estate being settled, they would get rid of the charge.
ones? -- Monday.